Why does everybody thinks Lars Ulrich of Metallica is a **** drummer?

Ok so not everybody (like me). But why do so many people hate on Lars Ulrich as a drummer? He ******* pioneered the fast metal style he's playing (which I guess is slow by today standards but you get my drift), if not he made it VERY popular. So he's not Gene Hoglan or whatever (whom I also love). What does... show more Ok so not everybody (like me). But why do so many people hate on Lars Ulrich as a drummer? He ******* pioneered the fast metal style he's playing (which I guess is slow by today standards but you get my drift), if not he made it VERY popular. So he's not Gene Hoglan or whatever (whom I also love). What does that have to do with him being 'the worst drummer ever'? I think the only reason people say this is because they automatically compare him to a faster and more technical drummer, so Lars Ulrich sucks. Right.

So many youngsters nowadays don't realize the impact he had on metal drumming, how good his songwriting is (songwriting > technical superiority), how he dared to change his drum sound for St. Anger (which I absolutely love). And people don't give me this 'Metallica sold out' bull, because they didn't sold out, they evolved and went with the times and just happened to still sell a load of albums. They're NOT a thrash metal band, they're a heavy metal band. Lars himself said that. Any idiot can see that. They basically captured the whole thrash metal genre in their first four albums, so what more do you want??

Ok so people hate him as a person for the Napstar stuff or whatever, fine. But why hate on him as a drummer. If you're a metal drummer and you hate on him, you should acknowledge he had a HUGE influence on what you're playing, whether you like it or not.

I'm not being Lars' lapdog here and I'm not a drummer myself. I'm just wondering why so many people underrate him as a drummer.
Update: @狼 Lord Frieza 雨: I'm speechless for that long and well written, understanding response. I'm considering picking your answer man @Andsoon Thedarkness: I agree he was ferocious early on and kind of stalled I guess... @Leprosy: I agree, hate is a trend...it's really sad isn't it @Prove it or get... show more @狼 Lord Frieza 雨: I'm speechless for that long and well written, understanding response. I'm considering picking your answer man

@Andsoon Thedarkness: I agree he was ferocious early on and kind of stalled I guess...

@Leprosy: I agree, hate is a trend...it's really sad isn't it

@Prove it or get lost: I totally agree with you fame doesn't (always) equal talent and vice versa, that's just the way it is. He's sloppy but when I listen to Metallica I never complain about the drumming I don't even think about it. And those drummers you named are indeed fantastic, they fit the music they do (Portnoy in DT, Lombardo in Slayer, easily identifiable), but so does Lars. I guess maybe from a drummer's standpoint he might 'suck', but he's alright to me

@blysqyr: I thought it was pretty cool he did the whole St. Anger album with that drum sound, it lended itself to a certain extent of consistency and fit the whole theme of the album quite well. MAybe