Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesVisual ArtsPhotography · 9 years ago

how does shutter speed effect slow motion? 60fps or 1000fps?

I am new to filming and photography and i was wondering what is the difference between 60fps and 1000fps?!?

Which one do i want to use for slow motion? Im not even sure what shutter speed really is...

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It sounds a bit as if you're confusing video with still photography.

In still photography, you use the term "shutter speed" to determine the length of time the shutter stays open. This is referred to as the exposure time...how long the image is exposed. So think of it like this. The faster your shutter speed, the less time the image is exposed to the film (in film cameras) or sensor (in digital cameras). For example, if you wanted to capture a moment of something moving very fast, you may want to use a fast shutter speed to preserve the moment, such as a batter hitting a baseball the instant the ball is contacted with the bat. This might be 1/1000 sec. or faster shutter speed. A slower shutter speed is used to create motion in a still photo. Examples of this would be fireworks that explode over a second or two (so you might use a 1 or 2 second shutter speed) or capturing the light trails of cars driving by at night.

The other part of your question, capturing something in slow motion, is related to video, not still photography. Video (in the United States) is recorded at 29.97 FPS (Frames Per Second) or, basically, 30 FPS for simplicity sake. It will always playback at that rate, so if you want to look like it's moving in slow motion, you have to use a special camera that can record at a higher frame rate. So, if you record your video at 60 FPS and play it back at 30 FPS, everything will look like it's moving at 1/2 speed. The faster your FPS in recording, the slower the motion will look like when it's played back at 30 FPS.

• rick
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

READ THIS. Okay, you are in need of some education on motion picture. I'll try to make this quick and simple. A traditional motion picture camera runs at 24 fps and is played back at 24 fps. The shutter angle determines the shutter speed. If you have a 180 degree shutter and you shoot at 24 fps you are shooting at 1/48 of a sec because the shutter is open half the time and is a mirror is showing you the image the other half of the time. If you reduce the shutter angle you can increase your shutter speed at the same frame rate. What happens if you do this is that eventually your footage looks strobed because you are not getting a fluid motion from frame to frame. Imagine an arm moving up and down. At 24fps, if you pull a still there will be motion blur. If you have a severe shutter angle you actually freeze the arm and it causes you to have a less fluid motion when played back. In DSLR you have the same problem which is why you use ND filters so you don't have to increase your shutter speed too much. Now about FPS. If you record faster than 24 fps and play back at 24 fps you have slow motion. Imagine that you shoot at 48 fps, you are getting back twice as many images as you will play back so you are slowing things down in half. 10 Seconds shot at 48 fps will play back in 20 seconds. DO the math at 1000 fps to get an idea of how much you slow things down. The American Cinematographers Handbook is full of very valuable information for you.

My advice to you is as follows. If you are shooting a DSLR, try to keep your shutter speed at about 1/60 sec. If you want a cine look you need to buy ND filters or you will have to close your lens and lose the shallow depth of field. Genus makes a variable ND filter which is affordable or you can buy a series of ND filters. A few DSLR shoot at 60 FPS. For super slow you need to get specialized cameras that cost a fortune. There is also software that is made to simulate super slo-mo and it works really well. It costs $300, far less than the rental of a Phantom and recorder for a day.

Hope this helps.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

There are 3 people save me from typing 1000 words, thanks, guys..........

This better be the best answer....hahahahahhahahahahahhahahahha

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.