Tyme asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 9 years ago

I want my son to lose weight?

I've beenconcerned about my sons health/weight for awhile now because he's been overweight his whole life. I try to tell him he needs to lose weight and eat healthy. So I buy all the healthy foods for him but after a week he stops and goes and eats a bunch of fast food. We have a treadmill and scale that has a 350lb capacity but when he's on both digital and manual scale errors and the treadmill won't move so I'm sure he's over 350.

I know only he can lose weight but what can I do to motivate him? I can't just sit back and let him eat until he can't walk. I've joined a gym so he can go whenever he likes now.

Any advice? He's about to be 19

I'm not only trying to get him to lose weight but I'm trying myself to lose weight myself along with my daughter and husband.

Thanks though guys, I hope he will.

• Rishi
    Favorite Answer

You need to be a good example to inspire him to follow you or those who have opted for a healthy lifestyle. You can not just order your son to do something. At times kids just get immune to what we want them to do if we try to pursue.

Natural and safe weight loss falls between 1-1.5 lbs a week. Stick to 1200-1500 cal a day, once a while treat yourself but never go beyond 1800. Yoga is a safe and long lasting (rather everlasting) method of loosing weight. You together with him may start with the below program and must hit the gym for cardio or swimming every other day:

1. Palm Tree Pose, 10 times

2. Swaying Palm Tree Pose, 10 times

3. Double Angle Pose, 10 times

4. Triangle Pose, 5 times

5. Sun Salutation, 12-15 rounds

6. Relaxation Pose, 5 mins

7. Twisting Cobra Pose, 10 times

8. Head to Knee Pose, 5 times each leg

9. Balance Pose, swapping hands and elbows alternatively

10. Relaxation with abdominal breath, 10 mins

11. Bellows Breathing, 5 mins

12. Alternate Nostril Breathing, 5 mins

Every other day when you're in the gym, perform first 9 practices then:

1. Elliptical 15 mins

2. Bike 15 mins

3. Run 20 mins;

1st 5mins. slow

2nd 5mins fast

3rd 5mins slow

4th 5mins faster

4. Relaxation with abdominal breath, 10 mins

5. Bellows Breathing, 5 mins

6. Alternate Nostril Breathing, 5 mins

Also every morning:

1. Drink one glass of water and practice Palm Tree Pose 10 times

2. Drink second glass of water and practice Swaying Palm Tree 10 times

3. Drink third glass of water and practice Waist Rotation Pose 10 times

4. Drink fourth glass of water and go to the toilet and sit for 5 mins

And rest of the day:

a) Involve him in some sport or activity, like in your favorite sport or outdoor activity.

b) Drink lime and honey every morning mixed with room temperature water.

c) Only drink lukewarm water whenever you are thirsty.

d) Avoid fats, spices and oily food

e) When hungry prefer seasonal fruits and vegetables instead

f) When you eat just think that 'this bite i'm chewing is getting efficiently absorbed and nourishing my body'. Then even you eat on the go you "eat consciously"

Rishi

Yoga Teacher

DIVINE WELLNESS - Delivering Yoga at Your Home

Rishi

I have the same problem with my 12 year old son who is 244 pounds. To him it's like whats the big deal or i'll exercise but then never sticks to it. All I can say is do it with him. Even if your healthy and not overweight it's a great opportunity for you and your son to spend quality time together and it will motivate him to want to do it because your right by his side. The gym is cool especially for the water activities. That's a real good way to get a workout. But i prefer to be a free spirit. Try bike riding together, walking or throwing a ball around. It's all about your imagination and being creative. My son said to me so many times that if I did it with him it would really help and it is. Try it. This will bond the two of you together in a special way. He's about to be 19 and we all know there comes a time when all birds leave the nest. So use this time to really bond and strengthen your love. Also your doing a great job with the healthy foods. Keep the junk away and stick with the veggies and fruits.

Unfortunately, there is not a whole lot you can do

The only person that can motivate him is himself - he has to want to do it for his own reasons otherwise any outside comments or attempts to motivate him, no matter how well intentioned, will be taken the wrong way and most likely push him in the opposite direction.

I know it is painful to see your child killing himself but he's an adult and has to make these decisions on his own. You COULD try taking him to his doctor, a specialist, a nutritionist, etc and hopefully an independent third party might show him the light.

You and your family are doing the right thing for yourselves though - quietly leading by example, especially if its the household majority might speak the loudest.

Good luck

You should take him to a doctor who specializes in obesity in children (and/or young adults), which will provide him with a reality check. They will do all sorts of tests and explain to him the life-threatening effects of being obese. You should also find fun ways to keep him active, and go to the gym with him. Find someone who needs a workout buddy or a young trainer at your gym who he might look up to. You have to understand that if he's been overweight his whole life, there's a reason for it. Really bad habits that he learned when he was just a baby will be seem impossible and horrible to break, but it's consistency, education, and determination that are going to be crucial to helping him. The other factor is that people with eating disorders are really difficult to help until they have their own wake-up call and are really, truly ready for change. Good luck!

If he doesn't take any notice, show him the outcome of what he could become, show him what it can do to his health, e.g. Heart problems and how dangerous it is, explain to him he is only young and this cannot continue.

You should take away all fatty foods from the house and have a strict diet so he doesn't feel tempted, reward him when necessary, show him images, videos of what people will become and how many issues they have to deal with and hopefully he will undstand, just be honest even though it may sound harsh

Source(s): Medical student

Cut out all fast foods from your house, only fruit and veg and healthy stuff. Don't give him any money&tell him he will never get a girlfriend if he doesn't lose weight. It isn't healthy and it isnt nice he probably feels very sad inside but just isnt showing it. Help him, but don't bang on at him he has to realise this himself..

go 20 mph on your bike for 6 1 2 minutes

shear three sheep 6 minutes per sheep

Drink green tea green tea can help you lose weight

Sleep in a cold room Sleeping in a cold room is a best way to force your body to heat itself up for hours