Under what circumstances may a Fundamentalist Christian divorce and then remarry with the Church's blessing?

Isn't divorce and remarriage forbidden in the bible? It's a "for life " contract is it not?

BQ: If the bible forbids gay marriage and the bible forbids divorce and remarriage why is is OK by so many Christians to ignore one proscription but not the other?
Update: Thank you Terry for being both astute enough and honest enough to address the issue germane to this question. To divorce AND REMARRY with the blessing of the Church was the question I asked folk to address. Thank you for your accurate, detailed and extremely well documented answer. I would love to give you a BA on... show more Thank you Terry for being both astute enough and honest enough to address the issue germane to this question. To divorce AND REMARRY with the blessing of the Church was the question I asked folk to address.

Thank you for your accurate, detailed and extremely well documented answer. I would love to give you a BA on it but I have no hope the question will go the distance. However morally, the win is yours.

Now I know our Catholic brethren have a very clear biblical understanding of this issue. A writ of annulment must be issued by papal decree if remarriage within the Church is to be undertaken. It may take years and there is no guarantee that a writ will ever be issued.

But Protestants seem to vary on the matter and Fundamentalists in particular can seem downright contradictory over it - to an outsider.