home schooling programs?

what are some of the best home schooling programs . I'm thinking about home schooling my soon to be 6th grader.

Favorite Answer

That depends if you want a correspondence/online program or traditional homeschooling. Generally correspondence/online programs closely match regular schools, except work is done at home. There isn't much flexibility. They provide all materials and you follow their schedule. Most people who do traditional homeschooling pick and choose among different curriculum companies to provide a customized education that meets their needs, interests, learning/teaching style, and budget.

I primarily use materials from Christian Light Education. They are mostly workbooks, which are pretty self explanatory and designed to be done fairly independently. I used to use Abeka (A Becca), but we found the work very dull and repetitive. Christian Light Education is academically sound and very affordable, but with more variety of activities in the lessons. They even have an accredited record keeping and academic advising service called Homeschool Plus you can enroll in for a nominal additional fee. I've been very happy with them.

Other good homeschool providers I've used are Sonlight (all subjects mostly literature based), Winter Promise (year long literature and activities based social studies themed courses), Math-U-See (math), Exploration Education (physics), Institute for Excellence in Writing (writing). Another good place to get curriculum, activities, and supplies online is Rainbow Resource.

You might want to try reading a book such as Mary Pride's "Complete Guide to Getting Started in Homeschooling." It's a huge book and your local library may have a copy of it. (It's written by a religious woman but you can skip past those parts if your views on that differ.) The parts that you'd want to read are the chapters on various methods of homeschooling. They'll help you figure out what kind of homeschooling you want to do (since you don't have to just copy the public schools and do things their way). When you find the method that makes the most sense to you, she'll give suggestions on curriculum or you can then look up that method online to get ideas of books and materials that would work for you.

Or you could look up any suggestions people make on http://www.homeschoolreviews.com to see what lots of people have to say about them.

Good luck.

• zumot

I honestly have used K12 besides and enjoyed it. we are christian and use sonlight yet i had to permit you recognize that's a brilliant curriculum and actually some human beings bypass over the bible instructions devoid of any problem. This 12 months we've been analyzing thoughts approximately jap cultures and discovered plenty approximately their religions. i in my opinion do no longer choose a "religous" curriculum basically an astonishing coaching and for this reason I chosen sonlight. my youngsters have study extremely some magnificent thoughts and discovered plenty approximately different cultures and innovations! I used sonlight then k12 for some years and now we are back to sonlight. i think of they're very comparable and that i might fantastically advise the two to every physique!

• Sierra

I personally use FLVS and it is great!! :)