Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What major historical events/movements happened in Micronesia?

i am doing a project on Micronesia and i just cant seem to find the historical events can someone give me a brief/short summary of some of the events?? Thank you :)

1 Answer

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Micronesia did not really come to the fore until after the Japanese took to ruling them during World War I. These islands were captured by United States Forces in 1947 and became a United Nations Trust Territory administered by the United States. Micronesia became a self-governing entity in 1979. In 1982 Micronesia signed onto a Treaty establishing the United States Armed Forces would provide for the nations defence. In the 1990's the region was attempting to cope with downturns in the economy.

Source(s): Munro, David (ed) - Dictionary of the World. New York: Oxford University Press: 1995, p.403 Stevenson, Mark A. (ed) - Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Encyclopedia. Springfield: Merriam-Webster: 2000, p. 1064
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.