i've got okra in my freezer, how to cook it?

what's the best to season it with? my dad said something about cooking it with tomatos so it's not slimy? can i just boil it in some tomato soup? what about this - okra & broccoli in some tomamo-pepper soup? those are the ingredients i have too many of, okra, broccoli, tomato soup >.> is that healthy? weirdly enough, it doesn't sound healthy.

Best Answer

Okra unless fried is slimy. However, slimy can also mean thickening. That is why it is used in tomato based Gumbo and other stewed dishes, With enough other items such as tomatoes, the sliminess is not a problem. Find a good Gumbo recipe and go for it.

http://southernfood.about.com/cs/gumborecipes/a/gu...

I freeze a lot of okra every summer for home use. Most of it ends up either fried( 1/2 corn meal and 1/2 flour) or in soups.

I do love tomatoes and okra.

Simmer 1/2 large onion in 3 tbsp. margarine or butter, on medium heat, until onions is transparent. Add okra and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat before adding okra. Add chopped tomatoes with juice. The okra cooks enough that it is not slimy. If you want it thickened, add 2 tbsp. cornstarch to 1/4 c. cold water, stir and add to mixture, and cook until clear and thickened. Salt and pepper as desired.

Source(s): Southern cook

Fry of some Bacon add chopped onions peppers and Tomato's add the Okra with the Bacon leave to simmer for about 12mins then take out and server

Source(s): My own

Okra IS slimy.

The only way I have ever seen it cooked and not slimy was cut up, rolled in cornmeal, and fried.

If your okra is frozen, chances are that the sliminess is going to be even more noticeable.

Good luck.

Okra is good cut up and stewed with tomatoes and onions. I suppose tomato soup would do. The acid in tomatoes helps cut the slime, though.

Source(s): Me.

What your Dad says sounds OK

You can cook okra in the same way as most vegetable such as zuchini (courgettes)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okra

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/okra (a selection of okra recipes)

fake... we adore having travellers over for BBQs and events. having pronounced that... we only do it as quickly as a month. we live out interior the country, so it quite is severe high quality to ensure human beings... we would circulate an entire week devoid of seeing every physique different than the guy from the milk cooperative who comes by potential of to purchase our furnish. we are going to be having our annual Memorial Day Weekend BBQ on Sunday... 40 5 travellers mutually with 2 households who'll be utilising two hundred+ miles and spending the weekend in our visitor cabins.

Chicken soup is the best obviously. Nothing is beating it.