Credit score and home loans?

my husband and i are trying to buy or first home, our credit score has been rather low for some time, we have done some repairing to it for the last several years, one loan company said or credit score needed to be 620 or higher in order for them to help us, we fall short of that just by a few points, does anyone... show more my husband and i are trying to buy or first home, our credit score has been rather low for some time, we have done some repairing to it for the last several years, one loan company said or credit score needed to be 620 or higher in order for them to help us, we fall short of that just by a few points, does anyone know if this is a standard with most loan companies or is it possible to get a home loan with a mid to average credit score?
Update: in a perfect world 620 and above is wonderful, in todays world however 620 is the average, forgive me for mis speaking, in your opinion. we were dealing with V A and so i just wondered if they held their standards higher than some, my husband and I have worked a long time to get our score where it is. his first... show more in a perfect world 620 and above is wonderful, in todays world however 620 is the average, forgive me for mis speaking, in your opinion. we were dealing with V A and so i just wondered if they held their standards higher than some, my husband and I have worked a long time to get our score where it is. his first wife left him 49 thousand dollars in credit card debt. its been a long struggle.