Wireless DSL Modem....?

I have two desktops connected to my DSL modem with Ethernet Cables. Both computers are connected to the Internet. Now I want to move one of the computers to another room. Will I need hardware on the moved computer to make use of WIFI? I tried but as is, there is no connection after I disconnect the Ethernet Cable.

Best Answer

You will need a "wifi" card or usb wifii "dongle" for your pc so it can connect to your wiireless modem/router.

Something like theese

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wifi+dongle&sourc...

• WayneH

Are you sure the modem is a "combo" unit, wired and wireless? If so you'll need to ask your ISP for the instructions for turning on the wireless radio. If the modem is wired only you can purchase a new wireless router to connect to the modem. Again, here, contact your ISP for the settings for a router and a DSL modem. And if you get wireless going, does the PC have a wireless card?

the moved computer needs a receiver for it to communicate with the Router.

Do you have a wireless lan card installed?

When you do, you set it up just like a normal lan, but you will have to enable the wireless lan on the router and set a preshared key, and probably a password as well., on your moved computer, you then have to scan for wireless networks, enter the key, and connect.

Seriously, just drill a few holes, and get a longer lan cable. so much easier and stable.

• John

Your desktop computer must have built in wireless card or a wireless adapter.

• Gary

What is your OS, router (make, model). Is your router and desktop wifi ready?