Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Is Obama a natural born citizen?

Yes, I know. Thoughts of, "Ugh, he's another conspiracy theorist" and "This horse has been beaten to death" are running through your mind.

The thing is, I just saw a video on youtube discussing the subject of natural born citizen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGJdN2KPf

Youtube thumbnail

It tries to take past court decisions and use them as evidence that there can no longer be any controversy and show that Obama is not qualified without a doubt. The court decision in Minor Vs. Happersett made a passing mention that anyone born to already citizen parents is a natural born citizen.

The video then states that Obama's father was not an American and is therefore implied that he cannot be president. As such because the issue is not being held to light and scrutinized by the government it is claimed that they know they will not win and are avoiding the issue.

--------------------------------------…

I want to state that after having read a summarization of Minor Vs. Happersett on wikipedia I am already wary at best of the video in question. The case was clearly based on the rights of women to vote and was not about natural born citizens. Furthermore the video indicated that the part about a natural born citizen was the outcome of the case and not simply a passing comment on having no doubt that people born to citizen parents are natural born.

Worse yet is that the court case did not favor in side of women's right to vote and indeed even points to the original colonies having a much different view on freedom and liberties than what we come to expect and think of from our founding roots. Damning still is the fact that the 19th amendment added in the 1920s overrode the decision made in Minor Vs. Happersett thereby nullifying its ruling.

The video clearly states that the precedents of court cases are important, yet doesn't give the true ruling made in the case or state that the case had eventually been nullified. Does this give credence to using it as evidence in a later decision, especially on a comment made during the ruling that was not intended to be a part of the ruling to begin with and was not questioned?

Even then, if you do take this as the only way one can be a natural born citizen, what of his mother? His father was not American and his mother was. When he was born out of the womb he was in the United States to an American mother. The question then is, do we need yet another precedent to show that both parents have to be Americans? How would you decide?

Is he half American and half Kenyan? If he is not an American because of his Kenyan father, is he Kenyan? Conversely if he is not a Kenyan because of his American mother, Is he American? What would he then be? If he was born to an American mother in Kenya would he be Kenyan? Does the mother hold more of a sway to his nationality than his father because she gives birth? If his mother theoretically was Kenyan and gave birth in the US while his theoretical American father was visiting another country, would he be American or Kenyan? What if both parents are Americans and are overseas as tourists and give birth in a zone not seen as US embassy ground?

Even if you decide that both have to be Americans, what if a woman is impregnated after choosing a sample from a sperm bank? Does the man that gave the sperm have to be a natural born citizen? What if this information is not available? The man who donates sperm is not a legal guardian or accountable for the child, does this make him the child's parent?

The video has a point that previous precedents are important to behold but in my opinion falls short in realizing it is not so clear cut and dry. Do you feel that we need further precedents to account for progressive views and science? Do you feel anyone agreeing with this video is grasping for straws, or that they have raised a legitimate concern on the future of qualifications for presidency based on our ever increasing range of lifestyles? If we made further precedents do you feel that our country would become more united or more divided as we make narrow definitions of what constitutes natural born citizenship?

Let me know your thoughts and opinions. I hope I presented the matter as an open question for all and as not completely biased.

Update:

Edit: the link does not work properly, my apologies. Use this in youtube to find the video in question.

watch?v=EGJdN2KPf0g

18 Answers

Relevance
  • Paula
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Obama’s mother (Ann Dunham Soetoro) was born in November 29, 1942, and Obama was born August 4, 1961.

According to Title III - Nationality and Naturalization; Chapter I - Nationality at Birth and by Collective Naturalization; Nationals and Citizens of the United States at Birth (Public Law 414; 66 Stat. 163, the “Immigration and Nationality Act” of 1952)…

In part:

Sec. 301. (a) The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:

(7) a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than ten years, at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen; Provided, That any periods of honorable service in the Armed Forces of the United States by such citizen parent may be included in computing the physical presence requirements of this paragraph.

End part.

Therefore, if Obama was born in Kenya in order to be a U.S. citizen by birth, his mother would have had to been prior to Barack’s birth “…physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than ten years, at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen…”.

Since Obama’s mother was born November 29, 1942, she would have been 14 on November 29, 1956, and adding the remaining 5 years to that (“…at least five of which were after attaining the age of fourteen…”), this time period would have ended on November 29, 1961.

HOWEVER, Obama was born (apparently) on August 4, 1961, which was almost 4 months before the above deadline passed.

Under the U.S. Constitution (Article II, Section 1), it states that “No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President…”.

“According to Obama's Kenyan (paternal) grandmother, as well as his half-brother and half-sister, [Obama] was born in Kenya, not in Hawaii… His grandmother bragged that her grandson is about to be President of the United States and is so proud because she was present DURING HIS BIRTH IN KENYA, in the delivery room. -This, according to several news sites and Pennsylvania attorney Philip J. Berg…”

Based on the above, Obama is constitutionally ineligible to be President of the United States if he was born in Kenya.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

A his MOTHER was a citizen -- which is all it takes. AND he was BORN in the US.

Uh, and women had the right to vote long before Obama was born. (The year after my father was born, as a matter of fact.)

You've apparently never heard of dual citizenship. There is such a thing -- type that phrase into your favorite search engine.

A particular person CANNOT simply decide that ONLY the father's citizenship counts. YOU can't decide whether someone ELSE is a citizen.

No, I'm not going to waste my time watching some imbecile try to argue that only people whose FATHERS are citizens are really citizens.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

If a person is born anywhere on American soil they are a Natural Born Citizen.

If someone is born OUTSIDE the US to American parents they may still be considered a citizen

• Boone
    Lv 4
    8 years ago

Was he born in the US? Yes.

Where his parents born in the US? This is irrelevant. Your parents can be born on Mars and have given birth to you on the last island off the coast of Alaska, and you're still a citizen. Why? Because you were born on US soil.

Drop it already.

And yes, all you need is an American parents to gain US citizenship at birth.

So in a way, Obama had both qualifications. He was born on US soil, to an American parent.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

Sheriff Joe Arpaio (Maricopa County, AZ) had a team of experts look at his birth certificate and they say it's a fake. in addition to that, someone who works at a hospital in Hawaii just signed a paper swearing that Obama has no records to show he was born in Hawaii. I really doubt he is a citizen that was born in the United States. Also, Kenya has two hospitals that swear he was born there. Seems his mother moved to another hospital after she checked into the first one so both hospitals have birth records on Obama.

Source(s): News articles on web.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

Yes, of Kenya.

Kenya has His Real Original Birth Certificate.

Kenya released it while the Messiah was still running for President.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

That is such BS isn't it .

For example

If an American woman has her baby in Mexico the baby is still an American even IF the father is from Mexico.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Who defends Obama?

The liberal media

It's Orwellian doublespeak

Example?

The timing of BBC4's The Baader Meinhof Complex & cinemas' Safe House & Ghost Rider 2 & uber neo nazi fascho rock band Rammstein UK gig tour, solely of cities that have seen race riots, aiming to light the fires of violent revolution & civil war

They tour USA & Canada April & May, aiming to light the fires of violent revolution & civil war

Fits NWO globalist elite 80% depopulation agenda, espoused by Obama, exposed by several movies from infowars & PrisonPlanet

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD9C650E868F...

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Regardless of where his birth place is, I think it's pretty clear that he is no American base on the destructive policies he installed on America over the last 3 yrs.

• 8 years ago

if he is born on US soil and to an American mother, there is no question that he is a US citizen

Source(s): rational conservative
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.