Compare anybody's first five films with John Cazale's. Does Cazale always win?

I was just thinking about how, even the greatest actors of all-time (although two in particular that I'm thinking of were in most of the movies themselves), didn't have a better start than this guy. Can you think of anyone?

BQ: Did anybody notice that, since Al Pacino dicovered Jessica Chastain, she's been in almost nothing but great films, and getting all this buzz? Would you say that's similar to Cazale, in that Al pretty much gave him his start, and he blew everybody's expectations?

BQ2: Think about this for a minute. What other films do you think Cazale would have acted in over the years, had he not died? I mean, having relationships with De Niro, Pacino, Copolla, and Streep, he wouldn't have just fallen off the grid and become irrelevant.

R.I.P. John Cazale.

• Donny
    Favorite Answer

@Rebellion- How can you compare Cazale to Joe Spinell? Cazale's first 5, and only 5 films all rank among the best of all time. HIGH amongst the best of all time. And I'm sure if he didn't die so young he would have kept the streak going. and you say he WOULD HAVE definitely been in Taxi Driver? well Taxi Driver was released two years before his death so if he would have been in it, he should have been in it

to answer your Q MQ, no one comes close to Cazale's first five films... but Brando also had a good start:

The Men

A Streetcar Named Desire

Viva Zapata!

Julius Caesar

The Wild One

On the Waterfront

I know that was six...and for all six of his first films, he was the lead actor, impressive

BQ- Al Pacino is the man. We already know that. And yeah it's based on their own talent, but without Al... who knows

BQ2- probably Apocalypse Now since him and FFC were chummy, also... Raging Bull, Goodfellas, The King of Comedy, Once Upon a Time in America, And Justice for All. man it would have been cool to see him and Joe Pesci on the screen together

• Hey! :)

Well yeah, but then again Cazale's film career wasn't really that long to begin with. So I'm not sure it's fair to put him up against other great actors and compare (who've naturally made one or two poor choices) if you look at the amount of time they've been working it's kinda unavoidable. Cazale's Filmography consists of films from 1972-1978, say an actor was really careful between that short period of time then sure, they can get critically-acclaimed films too. Joe Spinell for starters from the time he started he was in about 12 well-received films till "Starcrash" in 1978 and he started in 1972 like Cazale in The Godfather. Spinell, the 'Rocky' actor is pretty underrated IMO.

BA: Yeah he's always had a knack for picking the right actors. Again, I think a lot of it is owed to Chastain and Cazale's acting abilities. Chastain went to Julliard had this great "theater career" Pacino could've just been at the right place at the right time. I kinda think if the talent's there someway or the other it'll be recognized (look at Streep, she wasn't Pacino's 'muse'). Also, I don't really think it's similar to Cazale because most of her roles haven't exactly been "lead roles", she's held her own quite well and picked excellent scripts no doubt.

BA2: Oh yeah probably a ton more, Taxi Driver definitely. I think together they would've been producing/acting w.e in undeniably phenomenal films.

• Logan

I can not compare Cazale to anyone, and I don't even want to try

BQ I agree with you

BQ2 Goodfellas for sure, probably Raging Bull, he would have been in so many great movies

a million. The Godfather 2. The Godfather ll 3. The Deer Hunter 4. Dogday Afternoon 5. The communication BQ solid Will looking The lifestyles of Josh Hamilton sounds love it will be particularly solid, and that i admire the Affleck adult men, I cant think of it turning out undesirable BQ3 The possession BQ4 Yeah, as a remember of actuality I do, I truthfully have been waiting for this action picture, and am looking forward to seeing it BQ5 I truthfully have not considered a action picture for a mutually as