What is the song Du Hast by Rammstein about?

Best Answer

It is a play on wedding vows.

Du Hast means "you have" but it sounds like Du Hasst which means "you hate".

The main refrain can be loosely translated as:

You

You have/hate

You have/hate me

You have asked me

And I have said nothing (not answered)

Then the second part of the song is the play on vows, slightly twisted with a few german puns, to which Till replies No, finally answering the question in the first stanza.

The following is copied from http://herzeleid.com/en/lyrics/sehnsucht#du_hast, a Rammstein website.

Unofficial Translation ©2003 Jeremy Williams.

You

you have *

you have me

you have asked me

you have asked me and I have said nothing

Do you want, until death seperates you,

to be faithful to her for all days

No

Do you want, until death, which would seperate, **

to love her, even in bad days

No

* When Till is just saying "Du hast," it sounds as if he could either be saying "Du hast" (you have) or "Du hasst" (you hate). This is to give the song a double meaning, even though the official lyrics say "Du hast."

** There is another sort of double meaning here. If the line is read as "Tod der Scheide" it would be "until the death of the vagina" and not "until death, which would seperate" ("Tod, der scheide"). The whole song is a play on German wedding vows (Wollen Sie einander lieben und achten und die Treue halten bis dass der Tod euch scheidet? - Do you want to love and respect each other and to remain faithful, until death seperates you?). Instead of answering with "Ja," Till says "Nein," finally answering the question he said nothing to in the beginning.

The song has a double meaning, Du Has(s)t can mean both have and you hate, one means you hate me but still want to marry me and the other- you want to marry me but I don't want to.

Look at www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=3582

it's seems to be about somebody wanting to marry and be married faithfully though that person hates you