promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

WHERE CAN I FIND MY ACCOUNT INFORMATION TO DETERMINE WAL-MART STOCK COST BASIS?

I SOLD 100 SHARES OF WAL-MART STORES INC JAN 06, 2011 for $54.30 PER SHARE.

I NEED PURCHASE DATE AND BUY PRICE TO DETERMINE COST BASIS FOR TAXES, 2011.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

It is in the quarterly statements you were supposed to have been keeping all along. The company that held the account MAY be able to supply past statements, but depending on how long ago you bought the stock, and if the account changed custodians at any point, that is not guaranteed.

Worse case, the IRS won't question $0.00 as a cost basis. You are allowed to pay capital gains tax on the ENTIRE proceeds of the sale.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 8 years ago

You would have had to buy your stock through a brokerage firm such as Edward Jones, TD Ameritrade, Merrill Lynch, or a similar company. If you have a statement from the brokerage firm from whom you bought the Wal-Mart stock, call the company. They maintain the purchase records.

If you don't remember, then go through your old check registers. Look for a check made out to an investment firm. Call that firm and ask them.

If you can't find those records either, call Wal-Mart investor relations at (800) 438-6278. Ask if they have a record of when you purchased the stock.

• M W
    Lv 7
    8 years ago

Look at the statements you received from whatever broker you used to buy the shares.

Also, look at any paperwork you may have regarding how you paid for them. If you had a broker account online, then go to your account history.

Recently the govt decided to require brokers to include the purchase price and date on all sell transactions. But, you should still be keeping records on your own.

The stock you sold falls into Short Tern Gain/Loss. The goal is to keep stock until it becomes Long Term Gain/Loss.

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

The IRS requires YOU to keep these records. If you did not keep them and can not find them, your cost basis is $0.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.