Can I put copper BBs in a pellet gun?

Its a Beeman Grizzly X2 dual caliber air rifle, for .117 and .22 cal. The BBs I have say .177 cal. Can I shoot with them?

Favorite Answer

Nope. You will wreck the air gun. The Beeman Grizzly is a spring piston rifle. Basically, you have a big spring driving a piston toward the breech which compresses the air which drives the pellet out of the barrel. Basically the closer the piston gets to the breech the higher the compression the greater the air pressure the more power imparted into the pellet.

So, the system is designed such that the tight fit between the pellet and the barrel is what prevents the piston from ramming into the breech. Essentially, that fit creates a seal that forces the air to compress which slows down the piston. If you were to put a copper (incidentally they are copper coated steel) BB, it actually doesn't fit tight in the barrel, and so when the piston comes forward the compressed air would start rolling the BB down the barrel immediately and the piston would hit the breech as if you had dry fired it.

That will damage the head of the piston and the breech and ruin your - really pretty nice - air rifle.

Thinkingblade

Beeman Pellet Guns

• C_F_45

The Beeman Grizzly X2 will only shoot pellets.

There are dual ammo(both BBs and pellets) airguns, but your rifle is not one.

http://wop.pyramydair.com/site/articles/calibers

Read the last paragraph "BBs are they the same as .177"

The BBs I have say .177 cal?

The modern steel BB is .172 or .173, not .177

The article above gives you a short history lesson on the BB

For one thing, your rifle does not have a magnet to hold the BB(steel) in the breech.

You can shoot "lead rounds" with your rifle

http://wop.pyramydair.com/pellets

There are .177 and .22 caliber round balls(lead)

___________

Can I put copper* BBs in a pellet gun?

*Crosman Copperhead BBs have copper plating, but they are steel.

Yes, it's possible to load one into a break barrel air rifle. Co'ck the barrel then drop the BB down the pellet from the muzzle. Just don't point the muzzle down or the BB will just fall out.

WARNING!! - It's just like "thinkingblade" said. If you load a BB and shoot it, you will probably damage the mainspring, piston or compression chamber.

Not to mention the barrel of a pellet rifle is designed to shoot relatively soft lead pellets not the much harder steel BB.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Can I put copper BBs in a pellet gun?

Source(s): put copper bbs pellet gun: https://tr.im/IN6Rr

Yes you can