Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsAstronomy & Space · 8 years ago

What else did Neil Armstrong say when he first stepped on the Moon?

The "One small step for man, one giant leap for Mankind." statement is not all he said. I remember wondering what he meant, because I heard something like Jimmy Durante's TV show closing phrase,

"Good-night Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are."!!! What did NA say, and what did he mean?

I watched it live. I was a teenager; my ears were good. I was very attentive. I just now thought of it because I heard Jimmy Durante singing "Make just one someone happy" on the TV in some commercial. I was surprised by what he said on that historic day, so it stuck. Just now, I used Google and Bing to find out and it is supposed to be an urban legend that he did say something like that. This makes me think I am not the only one who heard it. Perhaps it was left out of the "text" since somebody may have thought it was not appropriate for History...

Sorry about the double text. SHOUTING A MOMENT SO YOU'LL NOTICE THIS NEW TEXT: It is well known that some people have perfect long-term memories, whereas the short-term memory becomes shakier as we age. I remember things that happened before I could even speak. I remember what I did and what other people did. I went back to my childhood home and found things that I had hidden. Neil Armstrong's saying "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash wherever you are." was so off subject that I was surprised so it stuck along with the historical statement. The fact that he said it is no big deal...what surprises me is that it does not show up on the transcripts and that people's reactions to anyone talking about are, well, so extreme or dismissive when others have affirmed they heard the same or similar words.

PS It was said shortly after the Historic Statement... sometime during the "(long pause)" ?

I think it was the origin of the Mr. Gorsky rumor/joke/urban legend that I just found online. People say they thought they heard him (N.A.) say "Have a good night Mr.Gorsky wherever you are.".

Favorite Answer

http://apollo11.spacelog.org/

You can read the full dialogue of the whole trip there.

From the transcript of the radio conversation. You can read the full transcript, with comments added later, at the link.

109:23:38 Armstrong: I'm at the foot of the ladder. The LM footpads are only depressed in the surface about 1 or 2 inches, although the surface appears to be very, very fine grained, as you get close to it. It's almost like a powder. (The) ground mass is very fine. (Pause)

109:24:12 Armstrong: Okay. I'm going to step off the LM now. (Long Pause)

109:24:23 Armstrong: That's one small step for (a) man; one giant leap for mankind. (Long Pause)

109:24:48 Armstrong: Yes, the surface is fine and powdery. I can kick it up loosely with my toe. It does adhere in fine layers, like powdered charcoal, to the sole and sides of my boots. I only go in a small fraction of an inch, maybe an eighth of an inch, but I can see the footprints of my boots and the treads in the fine, sandy particles.

109:25:30 McCandless: Neil, this is Houston. We're copying. (Long Pause)

109:25:46 Armstrong: Ah ... There seems to be no difficulty in moving around - as we suspected. It's even perhaps easier than the simulations of one-sixth g that we performed in the various simulations on the ground. It's absolutely no trouble to walk around. (Pause)

109:26:16 Armstrong: Okay. The descent engine did not leave a crater of any size. It has about 1 foot clearance on the ground. We're essentially on a very level place here. I can see some evidence of rays emanating from the descent engine, but a very insignificant amount. (Pause)

You are mistaken.

http://apollo11.spacelog.org/page/04:06:46:06/ from 04 13 23 38

<<I watched it live. I was a teenager; my ears were good. I was very attentive. I just now thought of it because I heard Jimmy Durante singing "Make just one someone happy" on the TV in some commercial. I was surprised by what he said on that historic day, so it stuck. Just now, I used Google and Bing to find out and it is supposed to be an urban legend that he did say something like that. This makes me think I am not the only one who heard it. Perhaps it was left out of the "text" since somebody may have thought it was not appropriate for History...>>

And yet you are the one claiming earlier that you could not remember what was said. It's been almost 43 years - yet you believe such an old memory over official transcripts?

Don't start with the conspiracy theories, please.

Try visiting the ApolloHoax messageboards and see what they make of you.

After his classic line, NASA went ahead with their true secret goal: Neil Armstrong prank calling pizza hut.

Aha, they use to shoot it out into space via the "OBD" system. (OverBoard Dump). It was meant for pissing through and was intended to avoid having to cart it back to Earth. It's no big leap of imagination to guess at its other "unofficial" application. lol!

you repeated too many times ugh

I think he said "whoah, uck".-- this was when he fell face first into the deep dust... Naturally we are never shown this film clip.

Source(s): research, history