How accurate are blood/glucose monitors? I have a Contour Breeze and I get different readings?

I was diagnosed as prediabetic back in July 2011. I have managed to lower my blood sugar from 110 mg/dl to about 89 mg/dl over the past several months. This morning I took my FBS and it came out as 130! I was floored. I took it again and it was 99, which was more reasonable. Then, I washed my hands and came... show more I was diagnosed as prediabetic back in July 2011. I have managed to lower my blood sugar from 110 mg/dl to about 89 mg/dl over the past several months. This morning I took my FBS and it came out as 130! I was floored. I took it again and it was 99, which was more reasonable. Then, I washed my hands and came back and did it one more time. It was 78. What is going on here? Are these things even accurate? Is A1C the only way to get an accurate snapshot of blood sugar? Thanks in advance.