Do you inform your boss when you pass certification exam?

My boss paid for my exam two times in the past, but on my third exam she never responded to my request (done in E-MAIL) to buy me the exam voucher. So I bought the exam voucher myself and passed the exam. The exam is definitely related to my job responsibilities.

1) Do you necessarily tell your boss / management that you've passed the exam and earned another certification to increase my value FOR THE COMPANY?

2) Do you ask for exam cost reimbursement? This would be my 2nd asking for this 3rd exam.

Favorite Answer

It depends on how good a relationship you have with your boss.

For me, I would just casually mention that you went out and passed another test on your own. If at that point they offer to reimburse you fine - if not no big deal.

Also, if you plan to continue getting more certs, I would just ask them to give you a company policy on reimbursement and if you are going to get reimbursed on the future ones you plan to take.

Source(s): 15 years IT systems engineer, MCSE, MCT, IT magazine author of 200+ articles and book and magazine technical editor. 21 Microsoft certifications.

Maybe your boss feels insecure if you have better qualifications than her.... especially as she may also have a more senior boss further up the chain .

I would tell them that you have passed the latest exam and request reimbursement .... They can always decline your request, but I doubt they would.

That was really funny!!! Here's one for you: John went to a psychiatrist: "I've got problems. Every time I go to bed, I think there's somebody under it. I'm scared. I think I'm going crazy." "Just put yourself in my hands for one year," said the shrink. "Come talk to me three times a week, and we should be able to get rid of those fears." "How much do you charge?" John asked warily. "Each visit is $150," replied the doctor. "Well, I'll sleep on it." Six months later the doctor bumped into John on the street: "Why didn't you ever come to see me about those fears you were having?" "Well, one hundred and fifty bucks a visit three times a week for a year is an awful lot of money! A friend at work cured me for nothing. I was so happy to have saved all that money that I went and bought myself a new pickup!" "Is that so?! And how, may I ask, did your friend cure you?" "He told me to cut the legs off the bed!"