How to overcome EXTREME shyness? Possibly social anxiety?

OK, so I am 24 years old and I can't overcome this! All of my teachers told me : "by the time you are out of this class I will have you talking more". Yeah right...that never happened. I put off gong to college because I didn't want to face other students or teachers and was afraid of having to... show more OK, so I am 24 years old and I can't overcome this! All of my teachers told me : "by the time you are out of this class I will have you talking more". Yeah right...that never happened. I put off gong to college because I didn't want to face other students or teachers and was afraid of having to take public speaking classes. (I am now going to school online so I don't have to worry about it) I currently work in a department store selling jewelry. I get commission so I HAVE to talk to people. I have gotten a little better but still nowhere near what I was hoping. I don't know what else to do. I am so tired of it. I think the problem is that I am SO self conscious about EVERYTHING, from the way I talk, my looks, that I will sound stupid, etc. When I was choosing what I wanted to get a degree in I had a hard time because everything I would really love doing I would have to be comfortable talking. I want to be a Kindergarten or 1st grade teacher but I wouldn't be able to talk to a large group, even little children. I am getting my Bachelors degree in Human Services with an emphasis on child and family welfare, I am so excited but I am afraid I can't do it. Can I really confront parents or interview families? I HAVE to overcome this....it can't run my life anymore, but HOW?? I got good grades in school and really tried hard and took it seriously but when it came to having to present something to the class I took a zero. One teacher made me present something and my voice was shaking the entire time and I was almost in tears by the end. It is pitiful.

Has anyone ever overcame extreme shyness or maybe social anxiety? If so, how? Thanks in advance!
Update: Yeah I got lucky with the job. Had it not been Christmas help and they needed a lot of people I probably wouldn't have. Plus at the end of the interview the lady found out my mom was a supervisor so they kept me on. It took the jewelry supervisor months to convince me to try jewelry and I love it but my... show more Yeah I got lucky with the job. Had it not been Christmas help and they needed a lot of people I probably wouldn't have. Plus at the end of the interview the lady found out my mom was a supervisor so they kept me on. It took the jewelry supervisor months to convince me to try jewelry and I love it but my sales are not as good as they should be because I can't make myself talk enough!
Update 2: Yeah I got lucky with the job. Had it not been Christmas help and they needed a lot of people I probably wouldn't have. Plus at the end of the interview the lady found out my mom was a supervisor so they kept me on. It took the jewelry supervisor months to convince me to try jewelry and I love it but my... show more Yeah I got lucky with the job. Had it not been Christmas help and they needed a lot of people I probably wouldn't have. Plus at the end of the interview the lady found out my mom was a supervisor so they kept me on. It took the jewelry supervisor months to convince me to try jewelry and I love it but my sales are not as good as they should be because I can't make myself talk enough!