SCs - who remembers toffee apples..?

...as in an apple on a stick - coated with melted demerarra sugar - and crunching through the outer coating - into the softened apple ?

Sounds sexy - but when I was a kid, wearing short trousers, toffee apples gave much innocent pleasure.

; ))

Best Answer

They are still called toffee apples in Scotland, and I love them.

• ?

Yes, I remember them very well.

My introduction to toffee apples came after a childhood visit to

the fair, or "feast" as we used to call it in Horsforth, Yorks.

I must have been about 8 years old.

I bought one a few years later, at the Otley Show,

and life was never the same, Nem.

I bit into this concoction of apple and confectionary

and found a big juicy maggot.

Thankfully, the maggot was intact, and I had not

eaten it.

This sensitive soul has not touched toffee apples

since.!

I think I can make that. On the holidays I make English toffee candy....I'll thin it out and try to cover the apples. So far it's been the caramel apples covered in mini chocolate chips. YUM!

• Lynn

I've never seen toffee covered apples for sale. But I did get alot of red coated cancy

apples and caramel coated ones in my time. They were all good to me.

I still make some as a treat.Make sure you get a good British apple not Golden Delicious.

I got 18 spelling mistakes.

The ones I remember in the 50's (Toronto, Canada) were coated in hard, shiny red candy, but were nevertheless called "taffy apples". It was the 60's before I actually saw the kind you describe.

• gale

Caramel apples and candied apples are wonderful; however, I have not ever had a toffee apple. It sounds wonderful.

Have seen a lot of carmel apples, but I've never seen a toffe one. I like toffe better then carmel. Sounds delish.

The only sweets I remember from childhood are tootsie rolls, and ice cream and homemade blackberry cobbler!

• -

we had candied apples at the fairs and rodeos here, the apple wasn't softened though, had a time chewing through all that to get to a crunchy apple Might be easier with smaller apples.

I loved the toffee apple, you still get them in certain shops , yummy