Should we be tolerant of a Mosque being built at ground zero?

I am truly perplexed that so many people are against a mosque being built at Ground Zero. I think it should be the goal of every American to be tolerant. Thus the Mosque should be allowed, in an effort to promote tolerance.

That is why I also propose that two nightclubs be opened next door to the mosque, thereby promoting tolerance from within the mosque. We could call one of the clubs, "The Turban Cowboy", which would be gay, and the other a topless bar called "You Mecca Me Hot."

Next door should be a butcher shop that specializes in pork, and adjacent to that an open-pit barbecue pork restaurant, called "Iraq o' Ribs."

Across the street there could be a lingerie store called "Victoria Keeps Nothing Secret," with sexy mannequins in the window modeling the goods.

Next door to the lingerie shop, a liquor store called "Moorehammered."

All of this would encourage the Muslims to demonstrate the tolerance they demand of us, so the mosque problem would be solved.

If you agree with promoting tolerance, and you think this is a good plan, please pass it on … for the sake of tolerance.

• Favorite Answer

It's not on ground zero but close enough. And they don't call it a mosque although it is use for worship. People are picking on words used when I think they know what the grip is. I understand what people mean and why they are upset even if they aren't using the right words.I'm not going to nit pick on that. Legally they have a right to build a mosque/community center on this site if they so choose, the city had a right to grant them permission if it so chooses, but at what price?

This establishment could provide the same benefit to the community if it was a mile down the road across the river. As more of that faith reside there-why not make it easier for them? The number of complainers would drop. National attention to this situation would have been lost.

So honestly, they can choose to be self-righteous and be ostracized by some or be practical and 'left alone', these are the two options, and there is no sense debating why this limitation is right or wrong or why there should be other options available.

Legally they do have a right. But I do feel it is a bit insensitive. A bit insulting to some. They are intelligent enough to know that. So why do it? Since they claim they want better relations. Their governing religious body could be more understanding there and choose a site a bit future down since they want to build more. I don't care what group they are... the type of group doesn't effect my feelings about this at all. So when and if anyone imply that I don't want the mosque there because 'it's Muslim', their wrong. It's not 'because 'it's Muslim'... it's because 'it's related to the tragedy. If this was a Buddhist Temple that was being erected in NYC it probably wouldn't even be an issue. So again...this is not a "religious" thing and we need to see things from the perspective of people that are still living there and had loves ones die there.. from the perspective of the relatives of fallen victims (and that includes some Muslims etc) But on the other hand, you can't help but wonder why the US govt...or Mayor of NYC would allow such a thing to happen?

And I think some sensitivity to others should be used.

It would be like the U.S. building some religious monument at Hiroshima. It would be in extremely poor taste and I would expect the citizens to be outraged.

Ever consider that maybe it has to do with respect for all those who died or lived through 9/11 . Don't they have any? Let them build but not with in eyesight of the ground zero. I think it's a bad idea. Is it legal? Sure. Should they be allowed to build it? Of course. Should they build it? No. It is insulting to many-and they should be aware of that. Very poor taste on their part. It's like pouring salt on a festering wound if you ask me

In the light of the current world situation its a bit insensitive on the part of the Muslims bodies that propose to build it, a bit like Building a Ex Nazi recreation Center next door to Belson concentration camp. How insensitive would that be?

Or putting pig stores, pig ware, diners and warehouse all around where they build. Who would do that? Most wouldn't even consider it rather or not they objected -they wouldn't. That is how insensitive it was

It is bound to become a magnet for protests so would probably be attacked on a regular basis

But again Not Least it is a bit of an insult to the victims and their families, showing Islam to be insensitive and uncaring.

Yes it was insensitive. And making excuses for that insensitivity is just wrong-- I don't care when some are that insensitive and would act that way someone should say something

It's not a matter of religious freedom as someone said. It's about being considered to others in wake of a terrible event

Good caring people would have moved that to another location. That was a slap using our religious freedom something they don't follow in their own cultural

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you've copied and pasted a false report. There is no mosque or plans to build a mosque at ground zero. It is a very bigoted urban legend, at best.

Newt Gingrich and recent reports haven't done much to dispel the myth. He made a claim in 2010 for which he was criticized for its inaccuracies.

Like most politicians, the guy can't keep his stories straight.

They can't anyway, Ground zero is already being developed. The reason I wouldn't like it is because a lot of Muslims don't speak out about others who are extremist. If Muslims fought against extremist Muslims, there would be a lot more peace in the middle east, and frankly throughout the whole world. Also, it would be kind of insensitive towards the family members who had their relatives die on that tragic die by extremist Muslims.

Have Muslim groups objected to butcher shops, lingerie stores or bars near their mosques? Not that I've ever heard of. Only Christians demand the right to control what is near their churches.

• either the constitution means what it says or it does not. no matter how tasteless it is (I actually think its being there could be a testament that bigotry does not always win in america), if you have done your paperwork, you have every right to build it (its not a mosque....but there is a mosque in it so maybe it is).

And yes, we should apply the same logic to muslims.

• 1. It isn't a mosque, its a Muslim Community Centre, similar to the YMCA.

2. It isn't at Ground Zero, it is several blocks away.

3. There is a difference between tolerance, and mocking one religion. It isn't a small difference, it is a huge difference.

Turban Cowboy. Good one.

• e w

Yes. Shouldn't all mosques be at ground zero?

I not going to pick on words mistakes neither. It was to close and it was rude and insensitive. And they knew it did upset people and didn't care. That's not the way to show concern which they like to brag about.