Can a Horse have ALL four feet clubed?

Ok so i've been reading a lot about it trying to find out about a mare I want to help.

I have found its an injury if one foot is affected and genetic if both back feet OR both front feet are affected but nothing about all four feet?

So a lady contacted me about this percheron mare she has since I am looking for a draft.

She got the mare from the kill pen last week,she says the mare looks to be about 5 years old by teeth,she has some harness rubs but not a cropped tail (wich the amish usually do?) and is perfect for lifting her feet and doesnt seem to have any pain (yet) she is not lame (yet) and I hope to make sure she doesnt become so.She needs a lot of weight and obviously a lot of hoof care,I have never seen anything like this and would like to know if anyone else has and if they know the problem and the solution,I am thinking I will need a vet to x ray before it can be trimmed but im not sure.I dont have a ton of money and neither does her current owner (she got her at auction when she was helping a friend pick a horse and she said she just had to take her home and had to borrow her friends trailer) so any ideas on what to do? is it genetic or a result of a bad farrier (a few people have told me they think that is the problem) and if this is fixed will she be ridable? will she have problems when she is old because of this?

Thanks for reading

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?cropsuccess&id...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=39824893...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/search/results.php?q=Ra...

I am not sure if the links will work for the picture but I have my profile on public so hopfully you can see it but if not you might have to add me as a friend but I put it as my profile picture so you can see it.

name is Rachael Langston and I hope the links work for you.

Thanks again.

Favorite Answer

The first two links do not work, but the last one seems to.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/16116... This is the horse?

If so, the picture is not big enough to tell much. However, from what I can see, they look like typical draft feet that have not been cared for properly. Some people also have their drafts trimmed in a certain way that is awful, and will even spread their feet. I see a lot with very short, upright trims. This will make them look somewhat like a club foot.

Honestly, you will need x-rays to tell if they are clubbed. I would urge you to get them anyway before he is trimmed to really see what is going on inside his foot.

Considering her condition is very poor, I would think that a whole vet check up would be a good idea.

As for club foot, here is a page with a lot of information. This is written by a vet, and certified farrier. http://www.nanric.com/Howtotreatclubfeet.asp There are also sketches of various club feet.

I do have a horse who has a grade 1 club foot. He is ridden without a problem. The main issue is he takes a very good farrier to meet his needs. Some farriers will try to make a club foot look normal, which puts immense stress on their tendons. A club foot when properly trimmed is a healthy foot.

I have never seen or even heard of a horse with four club feet. I am a bit puzzled by your question and do not really understand its basis. I was able to see one small picture of the underweight horse but the feet were not clearly portrayed so it is difficult to make an active determination. The front feet do not look bad as well as could be seen. The back feet look very overgrown and that makes the back feet look overly flexed but again, the picture is not a good representation.

If you have a qualified farrier look at the feet and get some x-rays to determine if there have been boney changes that would effect the horse's ability to function, that should be adequate information for you to make decision about whether or not you want to rescue this horse. The weight problem can always be remedied by good nutrition. If the problem is just a lack of quality hoof care, it can also be remedied by consistent care.

I have trimmed many horses with terribly overgrown feet. These horses could hardly walk as they could not perform their gait through the breakover point due to the overgrown hoof walls. Immediately after the trim, the horses trotted happily across the pasture. The results can be that quick. So get qualified professionals to assist you so you can make an informed decision. That being done, good luck. I do hope you are able to help this horse. She will likely be quite lovely after she recovers.

• Caz

From my experience club foot seems to be the body's natural way of compensating for a shorter limb in many cases. I've never heard o a horse with 4 clubbed feet :) and it cannot be. Many see it as a defect but managed correctly and taken into consideration when trimming/shoeing it should have little to no effect on the horse.

Add... I've found an article that may be of assistance to you. http://www.noelshorseshoeing.com/clubfoot.html

The most common cause of club foot is genetic and I stand by my opinion of it often being caused by a shorter limb and the body compensating and therefore trying to correct itself the only way it can without human intervention. Once a horse has reached the point of no return... which happens before their 1st birthday at about 6-9months... you should never try to shape the hoof to appear normal as this will only aggravate the situation. Whats done is done and it just needs to be taken into consideration by a farrier. I've seen a few good racehorses who were unaffected by clubfoot and many who were overlooked at yearling sales due to this defect. People tend to look for the perfect horse (especially when it comes to racehorses) and the truth is the perfect horse like a human doesn't exist... we all have flaws and club foot can be serious and it can also have no effect on the horse, it really comes down to what grade of club foot the horse has. I cannot access your pics... I'm not a fan of facebook!

Source(s): Used to be a strapper and tended to horses with club foot... some were winners some not!

There are a lot of people that mistake poorly maintained feet for clubbed feet. My old barrel pony was clubbed on both front feet and they never caused him any issues. My mare has a front foot that's mildly clubbed, which doesn't really effect her performance at all. A good farrier can maintain balance and help keep the horse sound, if it truly is clubbed.

You have to make FB photo's public to share them with others who are not on your friends list...sorry.

I blew up the photo in The Black Horse's links. I see no clubbed foot. Clubbed feet are nearly vertical in the front hoof and the pastern. These feet are not clubbed, unless the one that is lifted is a little clubby. Not bad if it is though.

I don't like clubbed feet because the hard ground and rocks here are hard on the joints and many are a little on the clumsy side. But this horse shows no sign of clubbed feet.

Some of us are not on facebook and can not see the picts.

I had two mares with a front foot that was clubbed. I drove them 25 to 30 miles in a day often. Had the older mare till she was 27 and never had a lameness problem.

• aparo

Now in case your farrier says its ok then preserve footwear off. Its so much higher then footwear which might be on. Just be certain the horses ft are good shod and trimmed and your horse will probably be first-rate. Say in case your occurring a path experience or are a competitor then I could have a well shoe on all 4 ft. Good Luck and HAVE FUN together with your new HORSE!!

ive seen horses with one clubed foot never all four. I would never ever buy a horse with this problem. have to have a good farrier and that isnt cheap for that type of shoeing plus xrays now and then to see progress if its getting better or worse.I would try to find a different horse

Not everyone is on FB and can see the pics (including me)

@Gale - you should get on facebook. I'd friend you so I could oogle over your pictures.