Why is beef jerky so expensive?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • JustMe
    Lv 6
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Beef has a lot of water in it. So when it is dried, it only a fraction of its former weight. Takes a lot of beef to make a little jerky.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Because its a ripoff!! I have made jerky at home for years with a simple electric meat slicer (lightly freeze the meat first-easier to slice) my liquid or dry rub, throw it into my dehydrator and within hours you have great jerky. I seal it in my seal-a-meal machine and there you have it, lasts for months for backpacking/skiing/canoe-kayaking/camping trips and day hikes. Jerky is often made from a cheap cut of meat, even scraps. My brother makes jerky from the deer he gets each year--its excellent. A 3oz bag of store bought jerky is often around $4-5 which is over $20 per pound from a cheap cut of meat!!

• 8 years ago

because the meat shrinks a lot during the process of making jerky so you end up paying for the meat you dont actually get

• 8 years ago

JustMe is right. Also, making beef jerkey is very labor intensive: Cutting, marinating, hanging, drying, packaging, distributing.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 8 years ago

I think they charge for the processes it goes through and the name it may have. For instance, when one purchases a slim jim, you are also playing for the name of the product.

• 8 years ago

Packaging.

• 8 years ago

Beef jerky is made from stray urban bush meat and these animals are wary and hard to catch.

• Rich6 years agoReport

Madmunk your right, after eating store bought jerky my friend ends up barking

• Anonymous
    8 years ago

Because the cows are on strike.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.