Why is beef jerky so expensive?

• JustMe
    Favorite Answer

Beef has a lot of water in it. So when it is dried, it only a fraction of its former weight. Takes a lot of beef to make a little jerky.

Because its a ripoff!! I have made jerky at home for years with a simple electric meat slicer (lightly freeze the meat first-easier to slice) my liquid or dry rub, throw it into my dehydrator and within hours you have great jerky. I seal it in my seal-a-meal machine and there you have it, lasts for months for backpacking/skiing/canoe-kayaking/camping trips and day hikes. Jerky is often made from a cheap cut of meat, even scraps. My brother makes jerky from the deer he gets each year--its excellent. A 3oz bag of store bought jerky is often around $4-5 which is over $20 per pound from a cheap cut of meat!!

because the meat shrinks a lot during the process of making jerky so you end up paying for the meat you dont actually get

JustMe is right. Also, making beef jerkey is very labor intensive: Cutting, marinating, hanging, drying, packaging, distributing.

I think they charge for the processes it goes through and the name it may have. For instance, when one purchases a slim jim, you are also playing for the name of the product.

Packaging.

Beef jerky is made from stray urban bush meat and these animals are wary and hard to catch.

• Rich6 years agoReport

Madmunk your right, after eating store bought jerky my friend ends up barking

Because the cows are on strike.