Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsDogs · 8 years ago

Sarcoptic Mange in dog?

I have a dog who has sarcoptic mange and at the vet they have given her the dip for probably 5 weeks now and haven't seen any improvement so they made it more aggressive and is giving ivermectin and antibiotics for it. Is the mitaban/amitraz dip effective for sarcoptic mange? When i look on the internet i see it mainly for demodectic.

Yes, she had a skin scraping that determined it.

• heart
    Best Answer

I'm not sure why your vet chose the dip. Ask about revolution or ivermectin. Herding breeds may have a gene that can make them sick with either med (less chance with revolution ) but you can easily test for that gene. It stopped my dogs itching within 48 hrs, medication repeated in 2 weeks for the eggs hatching and problem solved. Also be aware mites can live in bedding or any surface up to 3 days off a host, and humans can catch sarcoptic mange (but the mites can't complete their lifecycle on a human, so they die in at most 2 weeks). You can also try a white sulphur dip but it's so much easier and faster with the medicine.

I am all for natural like Thumper...but mites live under the epidermis layer of the skin, and my dogs were starting to show signs of secondary infections, I used the meds to give them fast relief, then detoxed them with milk thistle and chlorella.

Source(s): my dogs were given revolution, repeated in 2 weeks, and it worked

I am so sorry you are going through this difficult time unnecessarily. I can relate to your frustration and anxiety as I have also experienced a similar situation before.

Since I am an animal advocate, I must once more step on the toes of conventional veterinary doctors and those who favor pharmaceutical products over natural remedies.

Sadly, the remedies most often prescribed by vets to deal with mange contain pesticides and/or other harmful chemicals that will be detrimental to your pet's health in the long run and in some cases have caused dog deaths (not to mention that they are toxic to humans as well). The ones prescribed most often are Ivermectin (a well known neurotoxin) and Amitraz (known by a myriad of product names like Mitaban, Edrizan, Maitac, Mitac, etc.). See links below for toxicology information.

Thankfully, there are a number of alternative products out there that are very effective and made with harmless and natural ingredients that will help your pup recover quickly and safely from this condition. You can easily do some research in the Internet to find out about these and compare your options.

My favorite one (which eradicates all types of mange mites demodectic, sarcoptic and cheyletiella) and I have used for my dogs in the past is the 'spray type' (see below) which is convenient and easy to use as you do not need to mix anything, just spray. It will relieve the itch almost immediately, it is all natural, harmless, very effective and the price is right.

Hope this is of help to you.

Toxicity:

http://www.drugs.com/vet/mitaban.html

http://www.petmanage.com/dog-health/what…

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles…

http://www.livestrong.com/article/32684-…

Mange spray:

http://www.florapetnaturals.com

To determine if there are mites on the skin the vet would have to do a test called a skin scrape. Then they look at the sample under the microscope for mites. Sometimes it comes back negative in the beginning stages despite the fact that the mites are there, they're just not in the sample collected. U can try an oatmeal shampoo, it won't treat mites or irritation but it will help to remoisturize the skin. Give the treatment time, it should help. Hope ur dog gets better soon!

Well, there is one way to cure it...First off you have to kill it. After this you need to get it's soul the Death God, Santa. He is the ruler of the Undead Dogs. He lives in the center of the Earth, in the core. The only entrance? The North Pole, that's right, the legions tell the truth. There is a secret outhouse there in which you have to eat all the crap inside. After you have eaten all of this you will be full and be able to journey down there and claim your dog's soul. Because he will be brought back to life, he will be completely healthy. But unfortunately the secret entrance only opens up once every march 3 on leap years. Once you have eaten all the poop, press 9 your cell phone and the Kuthulu will destroy the top hemisphere of the world, you then have to hurry and go into his mouth before the earth is destroyed and is consumed by the sun in 30 seconds. You will then be teleported to another demention. This place is called Elmo's Releam. You must slaughted Elmo in his labyrinth and steal his crown, then place the crown on your head and then use strength on the truck. This will activate a portal to the center of the earth, but make sure you brought some scizzor's pained blue and pink because other wise you will have to do this all over again by burning off your face and pouring acid on it until you die. So after you go through the portal you will be assaulted by 10,000 legions of skeletons with RPGs and shovels. Let them torture by shoving shovels up your butt and pulling them out your ear, again and again each time getting worse for 10,002 years and 34,004,146 months 9,395,044,103 * 10^9billion days then there is a .002% chance that the dark lord pizza will let you talk to bob for 2 seconds to convince him to let you use his elevator to go up 1 level. Santa is on the 2 billionth level. Keep doing this until you can get to the 2 billionth level. Once you get there you must kill Santa by ripping out his lungs and eating them. After that he will let you hump him. Hump him until he lets you see the dog souls. Once you see the dog souls you must look through every dog which has ever existed and find your dog, there are no names and your eyes will not work, if you touch the dog you will automatically pick that dog to set free. So start guessing if you guess wrong you will be humping Santa for all eternity while he licks your ear and tells you he loves you. And the level the dogs are on is not flat it is on a huge stair case which on either side is a pit that never ends. Once you pick the right dog it will be set free. But since you can only send one person back to earth its the dog. So your dog is sent to earth. Which is currently in the sun so he melts and is teleported back here. So it was all for nothing and you still have to be Santa's slave.

Source(s): Been there done that.

have they tested her for it or just based on looks? I have a mastiff that I got 'second hand' and who was bald at the time. they treated her aggressively for mange even though the tests were negative. turns out she had allergies.