Anonymous

Which would be better for veterinary school? Entomology or Neuroscience Major?

Okay so I am currently a sophomore at UCM and I am transferring to UCR in the fall. The wonderful thing about UCR is that they have A LOT of majors to choose from, a lot more than UCM offers. So the question is, which would make me more competitive? A BS in Entomology or Neuroscience? I don't want to major in basic Biology because that is what a majority of other applicants are going to have. I want to stand out in a good way when I apply for Veterinary school. Also the Veterinary School I am planning to apply to does not requiere a certain major for admission, just a BS and some required classes. Thanks! :)

Favorite Answer

Between these, I'd say neuroscience because its more focused on humans and other animals. Entomology is mostly about insects, which isn't something the vets generally have to deal with. You should also consider biology because it could have the pre-med thing where you also get preped for vet med. Since there are only 28 vet schools in the United States, you should also apply to all of them. Admission is competitive no matter what your major is, so you have to apply to more schools in order to potentially get more options to choose from later. Besides, if you don't apply, you might miss out on a school that would have accepted you.

Choose a Major with good fallback career prospects, because statistically you are very unlikely to make it to Veterinary School.