How do I transfer my OS to a new SSD?

I recently bought a SSD primarily to have my computer boot in 10 seconds. The only problem is I don't know what I have to do in order to transfer my current working OS to the SSD. I already backed up all my files on a separate drive, I just need to transfer the OS and make it boot from the SSD.

My SSD came with cloning software, but apparently there is more to it than just cloning the drive. What exactly do I have to do in order to get my computer to boot off the SSD?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Why don't you go for a fresh install? Remember you also have to optimize your settings for maximizing SSD performance.... Defrag needs to get disabled, TRIM command needs to be set, and a fes other important things... Fresh install is the way to go...

As far as I know..

A Windows[tm] OS.is labeled on a HDD..

You can not add that HDD..onto a second computer..

I once loaded XP-Pro on 2-separate HDD..

I thought I could just swap drives..

Should I have a computer crash..

No Way..the motherboard only accepts the last..loaded OS..

===

I would suggest you just go thru the normal Windows[tm] Installation process../

Source(s): Do a Clean RE-Install of Windows[tm]

The easiest answer is to use Clone Zilla, a free to use open source implementation of Linux. It Xeroxes Hard Drives. The methods to clone are straightforward, just plug both drives in and load up colonial. The menu system literally reads clone a hard drive.