Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 8 years ago

Is an extremely offensive, ignorant, and hate promoting bumper sticker allowed?

I recently saw not one but TWO bumper stickers on a truck here in my hometown in Pennsylvania.. The stickers each read "Promote world peace, kill a Muslim." Now I am all for freedom of speech but is this too far? I dont believe that this gives people the right to just say whatever they want.. This could be being seen by children! It's just wrong and it makes me sick to my stomach. People can have their opinions but all this does is promote hate and violence. It is extremely offensive to me and I'm sure the majority of people especially members of Islam.. Does anybody know, In the state of Pennsylvania atleast, if there is any law that I could try get this removed? I have the persons license plate number and would love to report it to police if there is anything I can do about it. This should not be acceptable. Thank you for your time.

• David
    Favorite Answer

In America, we don't trust our government to know the difference between

acceptable bumper stickers, and unacceptable bumper stickers. So we don't let the government do anything about any writing on any bumper stickers.

The alternative, I guess, would be to let the politicians or some crazy TV preachers or the people who print offensive bumper stickers decide which ones can't be displayed. But if we did that, then the people who couldn't display their bumper stickers would get angry and start shooting at the government people responsible for the unfair censorship of messages.

So, you can do one of a few things:

1) Talk to the person who has the bumper stickers, and ask to remove them.

2) Make your own bumper stickers

---"Promote World Peace, Kill a Pea Brain Fundamentalist"

---"Promote World Peace, Ban Bumper Stickers"

---"Promote World Peace, Get a Muslim Pen Pal" <--- best idea I've had today, actually

---"Promote World Peace, Just Say Yes"

--or make up something you would find more persuasive.

The idiot who drives with those inflammatory messages on his car will be noticed, and most people will think poorly of him. His goal is to vent his bile, and to make other people angry.

If you try to out-do him in his nastiness, then both of you will have lost. As they say, "Don't try to wrestle with a pig -- he actually likes it, and both of you get dirty."

If you demonstrate to your neighbors why you are a wonderful person with deeds instead of words, then they will be better prepared to listen to your words.

So, that's how we do things in America. It's not always pleasant, but it's always ours.

Best wishes, and welcome.

• The only way it would be illegal is if the bumper sticker actually inspired the populace to break the law as a response. Police are permitted to silence persons who are inciting others to riot or violence.

A man walked into a courtroom in California with a T shirt which said

**** the Draft

he was arrested and the Supreme Court of the United States vacated the judgment

The case was Cohen v. California

You have yourself a perfectly legal bumper sticker in the state of Pennsylvania

Source(s): Pennsylvania Attorney former prosecutor

The most that will probably happen to that guy is getting his car keyed an the sticker all messed up by a civilized person, that would teach him something, but than again that will probably enrage him an his arrogant self thinking a muslim did it an he may kill one o;...

File a criminal complaint against the driver for instigating a situation and riling emotions. Hopefully the courts will have him/her remove the bumper sticker.

I got a few Bumper Sticker Ideas:

“Sign your death Warrant, Burn a Koran”

“Be open-minded to new things, give homosexuality a chance”

“Pay your fair share, No freebies for Illegal immigrants”

“Lower unemployment, get off welfare and work those farm jobs”

Source(s): Life.

so you are all about freedom of speech but want to restrict this speech?

no there is no law against offending you so calling the cops will just waste tax payer time, and money.

Dolphin- civilized people don't go around keying cars for vigilante street justice.

• How can you be 'all for freedom of speech' EXCEPT the speech that bothers you? It's either free or not free, it can't be both.

The Constitution says NO law limiting speech. Yes, I agree that this sort of thing is sick, ignorant, and hateful, but it CAN be.

• taco

It is free speech, embrace it! People probably think the guy is a douche for having that on his truck, but it is his truck and his opinion. If you want his rights revoked, you should do the same with yours.

• Jay

I used to have one that read "save the trees, kill a beaver". It didn't mean I wanted people to actually go out and kill beavers. Stop being so touchy.