Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

My state just legalized same sex-marriage?

Maryland just past this law, i know this isn really the right category, but i know R&S people might know a lot. My question is, was this decided on by the tate government, or was their a vote from citizens?

Update:

Tate government...............lol, silly me

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The state government.

But it wasn't like the peope didnt have a say. The delagates from every area of MD listened to the citizens of their areas and voted based on what they felt the citizens were telling them. The majority of delagates voted in favor of the same sex marriage bill so then the bill moved on to the MD senate. The senate also tries to listen to what the people want. They passed it as well. Finally the bill goes to the governor and he gets to decide if he wants it to happen or not, pretty much based on only what he thinks is right. Governor O'Malley signed it.

There is a chance it could be overturned as it will be put on a ballot in Nov so MD citizens can vote on it directly. I don't think it'll be overturned though because according to statistics, about 52% of Marylanders support same sex marriage.

The bill will become active in Jan 2013

• visick
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, large apple, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming, the District of Columbia. That makes 37 states and the District of Columbia which have legalized gay marriage. i imagine 2015 is the 12 months that it will likely be legalized nationwide.

• ?
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

It was passed through the state legislature and approved by the governor.

The constitutionality of using a voter referendum to determine civil rights is highly questionable. It was recently ruled in California supreme courts that the vote for "Prop 8" was not constitutional.

• 9 years ago

The state government passed a law legalising gay marriage. The governor signed it.

See the link for more info.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • bird
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

the idea of a democracy is that you vote for people that speak for you. so this would be the citizens voting, even if it was not referendum. which i don't follow MD politics closely, but i do believe it was the state congress that passed it not a referendum

• 9 years ago

Good for your state.

• 9 years ago

Finally, why should anyone be morally allowed to dictate anyones personal life?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.