Jose asked in SportsBoxing · 8 years ago

Do you think a Prime Oscar De La Hoya can beat a Prime Floyd Mayweather?

A slightly declined De La Hoya managed to give Mayweather a tough fight. Mayweather did manage to beat him BUT by Split Decision. Just by observing that fight, what does this tell you guys?

Best Answer

Oscar De La Hoya was beating Mayweather until he abandoned what was working so well-his jab, so I think a prime De La Hoya probably could of beaten that Version of Floyd but we will never really know.

• skeet

I think a prime De La Hoya beats Mayweather.I though Oscar pulled out a close one when they fought,because he made the fight.Oscar was the only reason there was any action at all.If he didn't abandon his jab for the last four rounds he would have won without question.Now put a prime De La Hoya in the ring with Mayweather and Oscar has a much easier time.Oscar would be faster,quicker,and have better stamina than the version that fought Floyd.Oscar always fought the best fighters around and never embarrassed himself.He fought guys bigger than him and faster than him and always gave a good account of himself.Consider Mayweather was in his prime during this fight and all he could muster was to squeak out a split decision against a past prime De La Hoya.It's not hard to imagine a prime De La Hoya taking it by unanimous decision.

• ?

No, last time they fought De La Hoya proved he doesn't have enough defense to counter Mayweather defense just a little bit. He's too offensive minded. What I saw last time was De La Hoya hitting all glove on most of his punches.

De La Hoya threw over 100 more punches

BUT

Mayweather ended up landing almost 100 more.

De La Hoya could only win if he manages to Knock Floyd completely out otherwise Floyd will win the decision every time. The decision should have been UD their last fight, I think it was split to make a more dramatic ending.

I would say De la Hoya would probably have a good chance in his prime of beating Mayweather about 50% chance.

Mayweather is a truly awesome boxer and I think he would have the beating of De La Hoya every time they met. Its a shame that De La Hoya gave Mayweather such a tough time because I feel mayweather has been reluctant to push/test himself since then.That doesnt change the fact I give Mayweather the win.

I think no. I wouldnt say mayweather was in his prime when he fought De La Hoya! De La Hoya was a little passed his prime but either way, no. It'd prolly be the same kind of fight that Mayweather vs. Hatton was.

The OLD version of dela hoya won couple of rounds against Floyd.

IMO the prime Oscar will beat the prime Floyd, hands down.

• Martin

Nope. Many pundits seem to believe Mayweather could have turned it on at any time against Oscar, and some wondered if maybe he was injured? Did the shut eye bother him a lot? That fight reminded me of Hagler v Duran in some ways. It was a close fight, but we never doubted who the better fighter was. Also a "prime oscar" seemed to come up short in big fights. My prediction, another decision win for Mayweather, but it's much more clear cut.

• JAM

I'd say so, I scored their fight 115-113 for Floyd I thought had DLH been a bit younger he would've been more active especially in rounds 8-11 which he seemed to have lulled to sleep, and that was ultimately what tipped the fight in Floyd's favor up until the 8th it was pretty even and seemed like Oscar could've pulled the win.

Yes. The De la Hoya that beat Quartey would beat floyd.