Is this Administration interested in Lowering Gas prices For Americans?

Secretary of Energy Steven Chu admitted to a House subcommittee Tuesday that the administration is not interested in lowering gas prices, according to Politico. During a hearing on the Department of Energy's budget, Alan Nunnelee (R-Miss.) asked Chu whether it was the DOE's "overall goal" to... show more Secretary of Energy Steven Chu admitted to a House subcommittee Tuesday that the administration is not interested in lowering gas prices, according to Politico.

During a hearing on the Department of Energy's budget, Alan Nunnelee (R-Miss.) asked Chu whether it was the DOE's "overall goal" to lower gasoline prices.

"No," Chu responded. "The overall goal is to decrease our dependency on oil, to build and strengthen our economy."

It wasn't the answer Nunnelee was looking for.

"I can't look at motivations. I have to look at results. And under this administration the price of gasoline has doubled," Nunnelee pointed out on behalf of his constituents.

"The people of north Mississippi can't be here, so I have to be here and be their voice for them," Nunnelee declared. "I have to tell you that $8 a gallon gasoline makes them afraid. It's a cruel tax on the people of north Mississippi as they try to go back and forth to work. It's a cloud hanging over economic development and job creation."

Gas prices soared rapidly in February, up 23.2 cents locally from a month ago. According to AAA, the national average has increased almost 30 cents in the past month. Motorists are paying over $4 in New York City, $4.29 in California and $4.32 in Hawaii.

Chu backed his statement by insisting that higher gas prices provide incentive for advancement in alternate energy technology like biofuels and electric vehicles.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2...
Update: Im saying get out of the way and let us drill and refine our own oil
Update 2: DAWN: So according to your economics starving fat people should reduce obesity?
:
9 answers 9