California DMV question for 1st time register?

I'm a new resident of California and I need to get a Driver's license( my current one is an out-of- state license) and register my car here in California. Also, how does the insurance work when going to register at the DMV? What should I do/ bring to the DMV?


2 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    FIRST, make an appointment. Even at none busy DMVs, walk-ins could mean taking 2 hours to complete versus 40 minutes with an appointment. You can make an appointment at or call.

    How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle)

    You always need...

    - Application for Title or Registration (REG 343)

    - Out–of–State Registration Certificate

    - Verification of Vehicle (REG 343)

    - Appropriate Fees

    As far as insurance, just bring proof of insurance. You can get insurance from companies like State Farm, Allstate, 21st Century, Geico, and Progressive. It doesn't matter if you were insured from another state as long as it is valid, the insurance follows the car wherever it travels.

  • 9 years ago

    To get a California driver's license you need to have either your birth certificate or a passport. California doesn't honor out of state I.D.s alone.

    Source(s): My boyfriend had to show a birth certificate to get a new license.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.