What percentage of people are into bdsm?

I know it's a fetish, but is it common? Is bondage the same as bdsm?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 8 years ago
    Best Answer

A study of 20,000 Australians by public health researchers at the University of New South Wales found that 2% of adult Australians regularly partake in sadomasochism and dominance and submission-type sexual role play (http://www.news.com.au/top-stories/bondage-lovers-... )

In a representative study published in 1999 by the German Institut für rationale Psychologie, about two thirds of the interviewed women stated a desire to be at the mercy of their sexual partners from time to time. 69% admitted to fantasies dealing with sexual submissiveness, 42% stated interest in explicit BDSM techniques, 25% in bondage (http://www.amazon.de/Das-Lexikon-Tabubr%C3%BCche-A... )

A 1976 study in the general US population suggests three percent have had positive experiences with Bondage or master-slave role playing. Overall 12% of the interviewed females and 18% of the males were willing to try it (http://www.amazon.com/S-M-Studies-Dominance-Revise... )

A 1990 Kinsey Institute report stated that 5% to 10% of Americans occasionally engage in sexual activities related to BDSM. 11% of men and 17% of women reported trying bondage (Ernulf, K. E., & Innala, S. M. (1995). Sexual bondage: a review and unobtrusive investagation. Archives of Sexual Behavior, 24(6).)

According to a 2005 survey of 317,000 people in 41 countries, about 20% of the surveyed people have at least once used masks, blindfolds or other bondage utilities, and 5% explicitly connected themselves with BDSM. In 2004, 19% mentioned spanking as one of their practices and 22% confirmed the use of blindfolds and/or handcuffs (http://www.data360.org/pdf/20070416064139.Global%2... )

So, really, it ranges- generally, it seems like a tiny minority of the population engages in BDSM as a lifestyle (i.e. they incorporate it into the majority, if not all, of their sexual experiences and it is considered a vital piece of their sexuality); a much bigger chunk of the population is interested in or occasionally incorporates it into their sex life, but it isn't a crucial part of it.

"BDSM" itself is three overlapping acronyms, standing for "bondage and discipline", "domination and submission", and "sadism and masochism". So yes, bondage is a part of BDSM, although it encompasses far more than just restraint bondage. Some people practice just bondage for its own sake, others may not practice it at all (and instead prefer other aspects of BDSM), and the majority seem to combine bondage with one or more of the other aspects of BDSM (i.e. you tie someone up not just to tie them up, but also as a way to dominate them).

Hope that helps!

• puran
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Women Into Bdsm

• 6 years ago

Reported percentages on BDSM vary considerably. Percentages appear to be somewhat higher in urban areas or non-Catholic countries, somewhat lower in rural areas or areas which are traditionally Catholic. This slight religious effect may simply indicate a reluctance to talk about the subject (under reporting) rather than any actual difference in the number of practitioners. When I was attending BDSM events in the London area in the late 1990s I noticed a greater number of educated people on the scene - a college education or higher was quite normal. Manual occupations were less common. Typically I quote 8 to 12% of people as being BDSM capable rather than necessarily BDSM active. A far higher number of people are BDSM curious and at least willing to experiment. Check out the various surveys by the Durex Condom company for actual figures. One of their surveys suggested the UK is one of the kinkiest in the world, closely followed by Australia. Germany and the USA also ranked quite high, as I recall.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

BDSM stands for Bondage, Discipline, Domination/Submission, Sadism/Masochism

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago

no it is not the same, bondage is the restrictment of a person movement wether that be with restraints or by orders. bsdsm could and often does involve bondage but usually involves a level of discomfort or pain.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.