I am only 16, what ways can I get around to signing a lease to rent a house without an 18 year old.?

I love in south Australia

11 Answers

  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer


    If you're under 18, you can't sign a legal document (ie the lease), so there's no way around this.

  • 9 years ago

    You can't legally sign any document without a custodial parent present until you are 18.

    So you cant legally sign the deeds to a house under your name until 18.

    Your only other option is to rent a house off board (that means rent a property with a verbal contract, not a written contract) this is commonly known as subletting. it is often done by people who want to remain off the radar. the payment are normally done by cash in hand, and the rented properties are often of very poor standards.

    The advantage of there being no lease contract. is also its biggest disadvantage, because there is no legal documentation there is no standards and regulations, meaning you could be asked to pay a deposit and 4months rent, and then get kicked out the next day.

    This black market of housing rent is often used by illegal immigrants and often supplied by somewhat shady characters.

    Personally, I would recommend finding someone who is over 18 and willing to take the responsibility of leasing the house in their name, for you. this is another form of subletting, which although is not illegal, most agencies and individuals who lease a property will evict you if found.

    if this is a long term thing, you better off waiting for two years.

    where as if this is the planning for a holiday of some sort, then i would sublet under the name of a 18+ year old.

  • Katty
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    You cant. Real Estate Agents are acting on the behalf of the owner who is usually someone like your parents. They have the say as to which of the many applications get the property. Even if you were 18 it is hard to get a place as someone your age in their own home has a reputation of partying all day/night and being a problem for the neighbours. The only way is if you apply to share with an existing tenant but then again - who would want to be responsible for a minor? The legal implications for this are large.

  • 9 years ago

    Forged identity papers. If they run a credit check it will have to be someone who is (a) alive and has decent credit and (b) doesn't know or (c) doesn't care that you're using his identity.

    Your other option is to avoid a rental company or property manager and go with an individual owner who might not be so careful about checking you out. After all, money talks. This will probably be your best option.

    As you know, nothing you sign will be valid, and there might be some legal repercussion,s but if you keep your head down and pay your rent, you might just sail through the next couple of years off everybody's radar.

    Source(s): I'm a property manager, and I'm wondering just what the hell you're up to.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    You have to grow up and become a responsible member of society. Legal requirements are there to protect minors from themselves and the world at large from their immaturity. Sorry. Just hang in there and one day you will be thankful that you didn't get what you wished for.

    Two of my sons moved out early and their lives were anything but easy. The eldest is now in 40s and just now accomplishing things that most people accomplish in their 20s. The good news is that he is catching up with life and his brother has also caught up but it was a hard way to grow up.

  • 9 years ago

    You can't. No landlord with any common sense is going to rent a house to a minor.

  • 9 years ago

    i love everywhere i go but i live in The USA

    in Aus, no idea but in the US, a minor can legally sign ONLY when EMANCIPATED by a court.

  • Samson
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

    you've already started on your criminal enterprise, by telling a lie.... If you don't curtail these little lies eventually when you do grow up , next stop is prison.

    Source(s): It always has a beginning .
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    You CAN'T. What part of ITS THE LAW don't you freaking get???

  • 9 years ago

    first, ask in the correct section.

    second, you can't

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.