How soon do I need a down-payment?

I've been saving to put money down on my first home for the past few months, but I hadn't anticipated finding The One so quickly! I need to put 3.5% down when I purchase, but I need approximately $1650 more to reach that percentage. That'll take another month and a half, saving like I am, but I'd... show more I've been saving to put money down on my first home for the past few months, but I hadn't anticipated finding The One so quickly! I need to put 3.5% down when I purchase, but I need approximately $1650 more to reach that percentage. That'll take another month and a half, saving like I am, but I'd hate to lose this house by waiting that long to put an offer in on the house.

So my question is, do I have to have the down-payment ready when I make the offer? Borrowing from friends/family isn't an option either. Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!