What is the law on fashion design?

I have drawn designs for clothing for a while now, I do not make them though. If I upload these as fashion art do I have any come back if somebody was to steal my designs? I cannot afford a patent, I know alot of designers patent their designs but how is this possible other than me signing my artwork? I know my... show more I have drawn designs for clothing for a while now, I do not make them though. If I upload these as fashion art do I have any come back if somebody was to steal my designs? I cannot afford a patent, I know alot of designers patent their designs but how is this possible other than me signing my artwork? I know my designs are good, a number of people in the know have commented and when I was at school I had two teachers steal my work from me and win a competition with it.
Update: @ Who- Yes it does, it doesnt make it a pattern but it certainly is a design, all designs go down on paper first. If you think you are right and i am wrong please elaborate more :)