Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 8 years ago

Kazakhstan and Russian?

I love Kazakhstan. I can't decide on whether to teach myself Russian or Kazakh . Which is more useful for someone wanting to live in Astana. And most importantly WHICH IS EASIER??? Is Kazakh or Russian easier. I don't care about the fact that there are more Russian language resources, which is the easier language of the two?

Best Answer

Q: "I can't decide on whether to teach myself Russian or Kazakh . Which is more useful for someone wanting to live in Astana."

A: If you really are into Kazack culture I would say Kazach language of course.

However, Russian is useful and required if you're planning to work there.

Q: "And most importantly WHICH IS EASIER??? Is Kazakh or Russian easier."

A: if your native is English, then it'd be easier to learn Russian, cause they both belong to Indo-European language family.

Kazakh language belongs to Altaic language family (Turkic group).

But still... all depends on you. If you "fell in love" with any language, it's supposed to be easier, no matter the language family it belongs to.

Good luck.

It depends on what language(s) you already speak. Kazakh is a Turkish language, so knowing one of them would help. For Russian, a Slovak language would be helpful. Astana, and KZ in general, is making a push to make Kazakh the dominant language, although currently Russian is the most popular, that may change in the next several years. In terms of overall usage, Russian is the most useful, however if you were to live in Kazakhstan for more than 5 years, Kazakh would be a better choice.

Source(s): live in Astana, speak Kazakh and Russian

Kazakh and Russian languages can not be compared. They are absolutely different and the only thing that they both use the cyrilic alphabet (there are a few extra letters in kazakh) and both are spoken in Kazakhstan, especially in the big cities, such as Astana and Almaty. So, don't think which language is easier, just choose the one you love more.

• susan

Good for you!!!

I am so happy to read about it.

I think you have to learn Kazakh.

Just for to know how Borat is stupid!!!