Question about Hasidic Jews and the Holocaust?

I'm currently reading Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman and I came across a quote that was confusing. "Assimilation," my teacher says, "was the reason for the Holocaust. We try to blend in, and God punishes us for betraying him" Ok, I've heard lots of things said about the holocaust... show more I'm currently reading Unorthodox by Deborah Feldman and I came across a quote that was confusing.

"Assimilation," my teacher says, "was the reason for the Holocaust. We try to blend in, and God punishes us for betraying him"

Ok, I've heard lots of things said about the holocaust but "Yeah, we deserved it" has never been one of them. I've heard of assimilation referred to as the "silent holocaust". And that being forced to fit in was viewed as degrading. But seriously? Is the teacher really saying that they were asking for it?

Thanks.. I don't know much about the Jewish faith and would appreciate your input.