Web Design - What does slicing mean in web design?

Hi, everyone. I was looking around the web jobs on craigslist.com and came across the posting below:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/web/2872407586.html

I want to know what slicing means in regards to web design, and why it's used. The poster mentions they want 'flawless slicing'.

Thanks!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    8 years ago
    Favorite Answer

In fields employing interface design skills, slicing is the process of dividing a single 2D user interface composition layout (comp) into multiple image files (digital assets) of the graphical user interface (GUI) for one or more electronic pages. It is typically part of the client side development process of creating a web page and/or web site, but is also used in the user interface design process of software development and game development.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • carle
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Web Slicing

• 9 years ago

I'm not sure about that, but from what I know it could mean 2 things:

- modularity of codes. Your codes must be capable to be separated into sections, functions, etc. If you need more info about program modularity, I don't think you are up for the job though :D

- slice multiple parts of one graphic and display it as if it's one. When a picture is too large, normally the designer cut it into multiple parts. This will make the loading faster and more user friendly. The problem with multiple parts is that there might be unwanted gaps / empty spaces between parts. The challenge is to make the gaps missing. I think this is slicing means.

edit:

and yes, like what UND3RDAW said, slicing is quite an old technique.

Regards,

• 9 years ago

Slicing is for example in photoshop where you cut the image into smaller pieces and use those pieces as backgrounds for your template.

I find slicing to be newbie though and would prefer doing most of the colors and gradients through css and keep the images to a minimum.

So you should be able to get the job for sure since SLICING SUCKS!!!!!!! and he isn't into "up-to-date on trends"

========================================================================

am not insulting you in any way.

Source(s): O_o
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.