Gaming PC specifications choice of processor and graphic card.?

Well, as my desktop PC appears to have fried I'm looking at getting a new computer, I was planning to replace it before it stopped working anyway. I believe the power supply is dead. Currently I'm stuck on a very old laptop (clock speed of around 1.6GHZ and a geforce 6000ish range card.)

Anyway, I'd be looking for a gaming computer around the £500 budget. Eventually I came up with a dilemma

The first choice would be

Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3.40GHz

ATI HD 5770 graphic card. (I already have this card and would be transferring it from the desktop)

While the second choice would be:

Intel Core i5-2500K @ 3.40GHz (perhaps overclocked)

Radeon HD 6870 graphic card. (Would be purchasing this new)

Now I've heard that the I7 isn't a big improvement for the I5 for gaming due to the multi thread support not being supported by games anyway and that I should focus on getting a more powerful graphic card instead of the upgraded processor.

Mostly the PC will be used for gaming, ideally at max or very close to max detail and perhaps rendering the odd video or two, however it won't be used for extensive rendering work or 3D modelling.

So what do you guys think between a more powerful processor or the more powerful graphic card, what'd be better for my needs now and for future proofing the computer?

Thanks.

• Goerge
    Best Answer

Stick with the 2500K but still use your lower end mid-range 5770. The gaming performance is not any better when one looks at them side by side http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/288?vs=287 . When only 100MHz separates the two overclocking the 2500K makes up the negligible difference and can then be pushed up 1GHz more just on air. continue saving for a better card. The 6870 is still settling for mid range located smack dab in the center of Mediocreville. Wait for a 670 or 680 Keplar Series GPU's from Nvidia or invest in the 7970. Any of those cards with 3GB of VRAM is going to add a huge future proof cushion. Buy a Z68 http://www.techpowerup.com/161073/MSI-s-entire-Z68... OR http://www.gigabyte.com/press-center/news-page.asp... which will support their newer PCI 3.0 system requirements.After you have your next generation Keplar or Southern Islands video cards like the 7970 it's time to save up for the Ivy Bridge upgrade along with the necessary BIOS revision. You are going to be saving $100 off the top by going for a 2500K instead of the 2600K that you can immediately apply to your stash for your better GFX card in the future. I would skip right over the 6970's, 580's and 90's and well anything except the newest cards. While your saving it also gives the newly released cards or processors time to show any bugs like Sandy had. If you are thinking about overclocking like a science lab it is simply

Enter BIOS via delete, F1 or whatever your default key is to enter "setup"/BIOS, click HUGE button that says OVERCLOCKING, change the multiplier from 33 to 44 and then F10 to save and exit.

• ?

IF you are just going to be gaming, i highly recommend the I5 2500k processor. With that and the Radeon 6870 you will be able to max anything out right now no problem.

If you arent really going to do any video editing the i7 isnt worth the money. The performance difference is very slight in gaming and the i5 would probably perform better in that area.

• Rob

I think you've got the right idea. Either the i7 or i5 will offer plenty of performance - it's the graphics card that will do the most good for games. Make sure you buy from a reputable systems builder. Go to the link below and you will be able to sort through premade systems by price and type. Below is the link for i7 Systems.. Choose one with a high seller rating.

• Sabeel

the first choice is crap, the i5 2500k choice is good

i dont think u can max out and still get a smooth play on 6870.

so if u r onto maxing out, buy at least 6970 or a gtx 570 or a gtx 560 Ti with 448 cores.

a gtx 560 Ti with 384 cores is a good mid range card if you are on a budget.

but if you are playing in smaller resolutions, may be 6870 is good.

Well I know you already talked about it but I would suggest an I7 if you have the money because games will eventually take advantage of that tech. and the graphics card you have chosen is good and will do exactly what you want, but I suggest getting an NVIDIA just because they've always seemed better quality to me and seem to perform a little better than most cards but that's just my opinion.

Source(s): Just bought and am happily using my new Asus :)

go for AMD PHENOM becauseit has more cores which is good for gaming

and go for nvidia gtx 560 ti it better than hd 6870 and has better 3d

nvida drivers are also better than amd

• wizkid

the second one

first one would be better at video editing