Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 9 years ago

How can I take control of my life?

My name is Mitchell Porter I am 18 years old and a high school senior in an International School in the Philippines. Please take the time to read this because I need help and guidance I feel so lost.

Now I admit I am a slacker, I'm pretty intelligent I took an IQ test a year ago and scored 129. However I spent a majority of my high school lazy and unmotivated which led to fairly poor grades, I've been trying to get it together because I graduate 2 months from now. Because my grades aren't good enough and the application for universities in the U.S. have passed. I have to go to Community College. The problem is my parents want me to go to this one college in Florida. They already paid for it 10 years ago, and want me to apply to the college and housing. The problem is I don't want to go there because I want to make my own decisions and do things on my own terms. I have already discussed this with my parents and they said that they will not pay for any college outside of Florida that I choose. For them my options are

1. Go to the college they want me to go.

2. Join the military

3. Strike it out on my own.

I'm so lost and have no idea what to do.

I wish to take control of my life but I need help, If my parents refuse to pay for my tuition and board then how can I attend another college and be set financially what would be the benefits of joining the military?

How can I stand up to my parents and show them that I'm no longer a child I am now a legal adult who has to take responsibility for his own life and make his own decisions about what he wants to do.

Thank you for this I really need this.

Favorite Answer

If I could use only one sentence to point you toward lasting happiness it would be this: True happiness can only be found in God, for only He can meet the deepest yearnings of our hearts. Let me explain.

You see, we aren't on this earth by accident. God created us, and He put us here for a reason: to know Him and to enjoy His presence in our lives, both now and throughout eternity. God even created us with an empty place in our hearts—an empty place that He alone can fill. The Bible says, "He has also set eternity in the hearts of men" (Ecclesiastes 3:11).

Whenever we try to fill that empty place with anything or anyone other than God, we are bound to fail. No matter how many things we have or how successful we are, that empty place is still there. But when we come to Christ, we discover that God loves us, and He makes us part of His family. More than that, He comes to live within us by His Holy Spirit. Think of it: God wants you to be part of His family forever—beginning now.

By faith turn to God and tell Him that you know you need Him. Then open your heart and life to Christ and ask Him to fill the empty places in your life. Jesus promised, "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives" (John 14:27). Turn to Christ today and discover the joy and peace He alone can give.

http://peacewithgod.jesus.net/

• Chris

Mitchell, hands down option 1 is best...there are great school options in Florida and no snow to shovel

many, many, many kids would love to have this option. i had to join the military at 17 to pay for my college, plus you can join the military as an officer after college if you like. trust me, officers make twice the money as enlisted.

you have plenty of time to make your own decisions in life, plus Florida is a great place to go to school in my opinion. plus you already know you wont make it to Harvard , based on study habits.

think of it this way, you simply need a degree to open doors in life...10 years down the road where you went to school wont mean s**t, your job experience proves your worth.

option 2 and 3 make 0% sense, in comparison to option 1

Good luck