Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 9 years ago

Can we charge my wifes ex husband with child endagerment for letting her kids drive cars?

My wifes ex husband has bi-weekly visitation with her kids. She just picked them up today and on the drive home her 12 year old informed her that his Dad was letting him drive his car on forest service roads. This isn't the first instance of things he has done that seem to be examples of poor judgement but it's the most recent and it's got us pretty upset. I know it wasn't a highway or city street but the kid is twelve, he doesn't have a liscence, hell I doubt he can even properly see over the dashboard because they don't design cars with 12 year old drivers in mind. We're planning on calling both the highway patrol and child protective services tomorrow, but I was just wondering if anyone has any idea wheather this rises to the level of child endagerment or not

Favorite Answer

Its hard to say.

I know of a few cases where the parent was drunk and made the child drive the vehicle to get them both home. But that usually involved inebriation in front of the child, plus the driving on a public street.

I know of one case where the parents both let the child drive the car unsupervised on public roads, and that created problems.

However, if its a forest service road with no traffic or others around, under parental supervision; I don't see endangerment.

When I was a kid, my dad took me to a fenced in shopping center with a clear parking lot. No wheel stops or signs. He had a listing (he was a broker), and let me drive his car while he carefully watched. I was 12 or 13 at the time. I could see over the dash with the seat adjusted, and his foot was on the hump ready to hit the brakes. Plus his hand was steady near the wheel.

I'm not saying it was right. But honestly there was nothing to hit with that car anywhere nearby.

Before that, sometimes he'd put me in his lap, when I was younger, and he'd let me steer for a moment or two.

So I guess what I'm trying to say, its edgy, but not necessarily endangerment.

Things have changed over the last 40 years, so I won't say its not endangerment. But I will say its not prudent, especially when you have a custody battle going on.

Pull the stick out of your a s s !!!! There isn't really anything wrong with what is going on and for most kids it's a right of passage with their Dad. Are you deliberately trying to come between the children and their father? If so, that's very small of you. You have a very mean streak in you, don't you? Calling CPS is a miserable bastardly thing to do for something so unimportant plus you are wasting the resources that should be going to children who are in real need of protection not just those that have a petty bitchy stepfather.

• ?

This is common practice in rural areas, it isn't anything to get upset about. In my state children of farmers can legally obtain a driver's license one year earlier for this reason--because they've been driving equipment since they were 8 years old anyway.

Stop looking for technicalities to stick it to the ex. Grow the fck up.

Seriously, is your b*tch of a wife sitting there twirling her mustache and rubbing her hands together greedily as she dreams of not sharing her children but still taking child support checks? You and I both know there is no child endangerment going on here, so what's your real agenda?

• Jim M

Sounds like a good dad. A little experience behind the wheel with a responsible adult is good for a 12 year. It shows he respects the child.

If you push it then the dad might get alienated. That will give you liscence [sic] to raise the child badly.

No you can't. He is letting the kid have fun and learn. I have a friend who was taught to drive stick shift at the age of 10. Learning early is good it actually helps the kid. As long as the kid isn't getting groceries from the store for him I see nothing wrong and the court wouldn't either seeing that he kid is not put in direct danger and it isn't a main road so he isn't putting anyone else in danger either.

• Jade M

Is this really a battle worth fighting? The worst thing that will happen is that your step-children will stop telling you things. If your wife is that concerned, she should talk to her ex in a civilized manner about it.

none of your fvcking business, bro.

just because youre soaking up the child support money, doesnt mean you have shyt stake in the kids.

Why do you need vindication from us? You want to alienate your step-kid, go ahead!

• Corina

did your dad never let you drive when you were young?