Should I file a police report if my dog was hit by my neighbor because she got out and started barking?

Here's what happened: I was in a hurry to unload my car because it was raining and as I was running in and out the front door, I thought I closed it but it hit something so it didn't close all the way. My little maltese got out and started running around in circles at a neighbor and his son who was... show more Here's what happened:

I was in a hurry to unload my car because it was raining and as I was running in and out the front door, I thought I closed it but it hit something so it didn't close all the way. My little maltese got out and started running around in circles at a neighbor and his son who was walking by. She wasn't being aggressive or snapping at them. She was just running around like a hyper pup and barking. She does this when she wants to play and be chased. I tried to get to her but the man started swinging his son's metal scooter around. He got me in the leg and tripped me while I was trying to get my dog because I got in the way. He was aiming for her. As I was trying to get up, I saw him hit her in the head with the scooter and she fell where she was. She had her eyes open and was lying very still. I started panicking and crying because she honest to God look like she had died. She didn't even look like she was breathing. There was blood on the side of her face and she was just staring out blankly. The man and his son ran off. I didn't know what to do I was so distraught. I didn't know if I should move her or if she was still alive. It was raining. I didn't know what to do. Then suddenly she got up and tried to run back into the house but she was all dizzy and fell sideways. I picked her up carefully and hurried into the house. A few minutes later, another neighbor who had seen the whole thing knocked on my door and had the police on the phone. He said he saw the whole thing and I should report what happened. I was so distraught I couldn't talk straight so he gave me the number to the police and told me I should call them and tell them what happened when I got the chance because it was overuse of force and animal abuse. My boyfriend came soon after and took me and my dog to the emergency vet. I decided to take her home and watch her all night rather than leave her there to be watched all night because I thought she might feel more relaxed. The doc said she had a mild concussion and may need xrays but I can watch her overnight to see if she improves by morning. He gave us some medicine and gave her a shot of steroids.

I know it was my fault I accidentally let her get out and that's why I'm afraid to report it because I don't want to get in trouble. However, I am scared of the force the man showed and I don't know if I should report it myself to make sure the story is told straight, should the neighbor and his son call with a different story saying the dog bit them and tore their clothes when it didn't. It's a little one year old maltese! This happened once to my grandpa. His american bull mastiff was chained in the truckbed of his truck at the beach and this man came up to pet him while my grandpa wasn't looking and the dog barked at him. A little while later, the man came back with torn up pants saying he needs $500 because the dog attacked him and he will press charges. There weren't any other witnesses other than the man, my grandpa and me and the dog was so big we thought the case might go against us just because of how big the dog was and it was our word against his so we gave him the money. I don't have a lot of money. I'm a recent graduate with loans to pay and barely making enough money to get by. I'm worried they are going to hit me with some giant lawsuit that they are the ones who got hurt so I'm thinking I should tell the police what happened even if it was my fault the dog got out? Any advice?