Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 8 years ago

Can am black american citizen safely travel to Chechnya to do political photojournalism?

I am an american citizen and I plan to travel to Dagestan, Chechnya, and Ingushetia for an independent photojournalism project to study the effects of Russian nationalism/imperialism on the native peoples of southern Russia (the Chechens, Ingushes, etc) and the Russian government's destructive conquest of its own land. I also really want to see Derbent and all the other places. I do not speak Russian and do not plan to for political reasons though I will learn the alphabet. I am an African-American woman. My question is, is it safe to travel there alone? my friends say it's dangerous but I think they're lying because they have been mentally poisoned by the disgusting capitalist American government. Please help me out. Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Chechnya is not very safe place for anyone.

"I do not speak Russian and do not plan to "

and how are you going to study anything?

but it all is quite irrelevant since most likely you will not get visa.

Plan as much as you want, but you won't get the legal permission to access these republics. Of course (if you'll succeed getting a visa first), you may try to sneak there illegally from the other regions of the Russian Federation, but be sure you momentarily will: 1) have serious problems with the Federal Security Service (FSB) and 2) face an expulsion in further. Your trip will turn at least worthless or plain dangerous, which is more likely.

The Republics of Chechnya, Dagestan and Ingushetia are neither tourist attractions nor the resorts for the foreign citizens with anti-Russian agenda — these are the areas of the special anti-terrorist operations. We don't play games there ourselves and, of course, we don't let the foreigners (especially ones bearing the US / UK / Israeli passports) do it.

Summarizing the abovesaid, I'd suggest you to abandon your (not the brightest actually) idea and forget it for your own good. If you're looking for the adventures of such kind, then visit Libya, Egypt, Iraq or Afghanistan — there you'll find lots of «destructive conquest against the people» shyte you're searching so desperately.

.

Source(s): Russian me.

If you're serious, then you need to investigate outside of this forum. Obviously, most people are perfectly okay in Chechnya, just as most people are okay in the worst parts of the US. But, if you don't know customs and rules for safety, you'll be in significant danger. If you're serious about this, you might start by contacting the U.S. Department of State.

Not even Native Russians feel safe there. It is best you don't go or at least investigate further than yahoo answers as it is a dangerous area for outsiders.

I agree with onlooker as your question is a serious one. My experience from living abroad in Ukraine and Russia for 2 years found that racism is still very in your face. Some are excepting but most people will stare at you.

If you do go I would suggest that you do not go alone.

No. You will get blown up, shot, raped, kidnapped, or at the very least deported.