Which is better: Canon EOS 60D or 7D?

Which one is better?

Keep in mind I live in a state where it rains 80% of the year lol

I'm no professional, but I love photography and plan to do friends senior pictures and weddings, and just for fun.

This will be my first DSLR

Favorite Answer

The Canon EOS 7D is the best all rounder camera, providing you the best of everything that the DSLR range has to offer; as it can compete with the higher end of Canon EOS range but at a fraction of the price but obviously with some compromises.

It has the highest FPS and picture quality and the 7D is water resistant, although it is not water proof. So if you considering in buying a camera; you should go with the 7D or another type of DSLR camera that has a similar water resistant body.

The problem with a DSLR with my understanding, is that if you don't have any camera experience what so ever especially if you have never owned a point and shoot camera, super zoom or hybrid camera system; you might find it difficult to understand the functions on the camera when you buy it. The EOS 60D or the 7D are not entry level cameras; especially the 7D which is the semi-professional SLR.

Therefore, DSLR Nikons or Canons, you will need to take a course in photography foundations before attempting to use the camera; as it won't have a intuitive navigation system to allow you to understand what each function does without looking it up onto the internet, or a youtube video and so forth.

Which is why I went with a Sony SLT-A77, its not a DSLR, but rather a DSLT; with DP Reviews comparing the body to the EOS 7D. The only up side for the 7D is the slightly higher picture quality. But the SLT-A77 so far has been very easy to navigate even though I do have about 5 years of camera experience. It is also water and dust resistant just as the 7D is also. But it has other features that the 7D doesn't and it was only released in August 2011 so still relatively new.

In that price bracket, I'd rather a Canon EOS 60D (or rather, 50D with its superior build and viewfinder) and a Zeiss 35mm f/2 T* Distagon than a 7D with a kit lens. Or, Canon 60D with a Carl Zeiss Jenna 35mm f/2.4 Flektogon MC and an M42 mount converting ring, plus a Canon 50mm f/1.8, a Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, and a Canon 100mm f/2. I'd have to buy the CZJ Flektogon used, may be able to pick up the 50mm f/1.8 and even Canon 100mm f/2 used as well for a good bargain. The Sigma I'd buy new, because their quality control can be terrible and it's always a guess whether you'll get a good copy. But I'm a slow, methodical photographer and don't need the performance that the 7D offers. If you're shooting fast subjects, you may find the 7D better. If it rains, put it in a garbage bag (or $20 camera rain sleeve if you wanna be fancy) and keep shooting.

There are only 3 major differences between the two.

1. The 60D has a tilt and swivel view screen. The 7D has a standard fixed screen

2. The 7D has a pentaprism viewfinder, the 60D has a pentamirror.

3. The 7D has weather sealing, although it is not waterproof. The 60D does not.

There are a few other minor things (for most people) that you won't even realize you are missing by going with the 60D.

If it rains, you put your camera in a rain suit. Not difficult. http://www.amazon.com/Rainsleeve-Digital-Cameras-L...

• keerok

Canon's dSLR naming system is easy to understand. The lesser digits the model has, the better it is. The best has only the number 1. So, between the two, the 7D is better.

If it rains, bring someone along to hold the umbrella for you.

.

Source(s): From someone who lives in a place where there are only two seasons, wet and wetter.

I personally think the 7d but it's not good for a first time dslr user you should get something more beginner friendly like a nikon d3100 or canon 500d or 550d better for first time dslr users but the canon 7d is amazing external mic jack and everything I love that camera even though I dont have it

Source(s): Me

get T3i or T2i as it is great for beginners, if u r planning to shoot a lot in the rain and sand then get 7D. 7D is a semi pro dslr, so u'll need to learn a lot to get the best outta that camera.

• rick

The 7D is better. Get good lenses, that's more important than anything.