What is the name of the language spoken in Korea?

This is kind of a two part question. Firstly, what is the language called that's spoken in South Korea? I know that it's just called Korean haha but I'm looking for what it's called specifically. Are there more than one for different regions? I'm looking for the name of the language primarily spoken in Seoul. Is it a language that has every character represents a sound or a symbol?

Can some please translate "family"? I want to get a tattoo of the Korean character for that because I'm a south-Korea born girl adopted into a white family and I want to feel more connected with my heritage.

Thanks :)

• Amaiah
    Favorite Answer

The Language in South Korea (and North Korea) is called Korean. There is no specific name for it unless your looking for what Koreans call their language which would be 한국의 (Pronounced- Hankuk-eo) "Eo" is pronounced like the A in What. Or if you mean Hangul, the written form.

Yes, every character represents a different sound. ㅁ sounds like an M, ㅎ sounds like an H, ㄴ sounds like an N, ㄱ sounds like a G (or a K), etc. Korean is actually an easy language if your dedicated. To me, it the easiest Asian language (but that's just my opinion). I just started learning not too long ago.

Family in Korean is 가족 (Pronounced: Kajok or Gajog-- K and G sound very similar in Korean)

You can learn Korean from a basic level here: http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/l1l1/

If you want I'll teach you a small lesson right now! If not, YOU MAY IGNORE THE REST OF THIS ANSWER!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Notice how the ㄱsound for G (or K) in the Korean word for Family changes when it is next to the korean character for A, ㅏ. It looks like this now 가. Now you have the sound Ga (or Ka). Now, you see that character next to 가 at the very top? It is the character for J, ㅈ. J in Korean can often sound like CH. Under it is ㅗ, the Korean sound for O. And under that is another ㄱ. Notice how this one stays like ㄱ. The G sound only looks different when it is next to a vowel like ㅏ (A), or ㅣ(I), orㅔ(E).

In the word for "Thank you" in Korean, 감사합니다, the G sound ㄱ is next to the sound for A. Under both of them is the sound for M, ㅁ. You're gonna read this from left to right, then top to bottom, so the first syllable would be "Gam" (or Kam).

The next syllable has a ㅅ sound for S next to the character for A, so it says "Sa". So now we have "Gamsa".

Next is the character for H, ㅎ. then another A character. Under both of them is a character for B, ㅂ, which also changes the way it looks depending on where it is, but overall it is recognizable. So this syllable says "Hab" (or Hap), but in Korean, P's sounds like M's.

The next syllable begins with the character ㄴ which is the character for N, followed by ㅣ , the Korean sound for I, which sounds like "ee". This syllable says "Ni" (or Nee),

Next, we have the sound for D, ㄷ, next to the sound for A, which you should now be familiar with, ㅏ.

So if we put all these syllables together we get: "Gam-sa-hab-ni-da" (Or Kamsahamnida)

There is a silent letter in Korean, ㅇ. It is not perfectly silent. It can say "ng". You can use it at the beginning or the end of a word if it begins or ends with a vowel. For example, the word for "Hello" in Korean, 안녕하세요 (An-nyeong-ha-se-yo) has three silent letters. the very first letter is in front of an A, ㅏ. Here, it is silent. So the first syllable sounds like "Ahn". In the second syllable, it is on the bottom. Here, it says "ng". So this syllable sounds like "Nyeong" instead of "nyeo" (however, when you pronounce it, you end up skipping the "ng" part, so it eventually does say "Nyeo")

I'm sorry if I've confused you!! If so you can go to this website where they will explain it better: http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/l1l1/

GOOD LUCK!!

1. Korean

2. Yes, it has an alphabet called Hangul

1: It is Korean

2:Famiry

Source(s): google translate