Swiss army knife is it legal to carry one in the UK?

I'm planning to buy a swiss army knife and intend to use it as a tool and part of first aid kit. I have no intentions of using it as a weapon. I remember reading an article on wikipedia about knife laws in the UK and it said a blade below 3 inches can be carried without much trouble but a blade over 3 inches, the person must have a good reason examples are religious duty, employment and hobby, does first aid count as employment and hobby?

I just want to know where I stand before I buy one.

Favorite Answer

You can defend it by asserting a good reason, but you would have to articulate your first aid training and how that knife would be more relevant to your needs than another one.

I would suggest you also keep the knife secured in the kit, so you can assert that it wasn't accessible but was stored, and really look for as small a knife as possible to fit your needs.

• Robin

Are you in the Swiss army?

If you have good reason... it is perfectly legal...if you don't then it is potentially a weapon.

Courts decide on reasonableness... so if it is in your first aid pack it is OK but if it is in your pocket it is not.

I think so, i do, but mine's small :)

Source(s): i have one