Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsMarriage & Divorce · 8 years ago

NEED INTELLIGENT, INFORMED OPINIONS?

I'm seeking opinions from those familiar with the law (lawyers, law enforcement, etc.). My daughter's boyfriend (they're both 20) was arrested with several of his classmates and I don't understand why.

Details: During a fraternity initiation, he, and four of his classmates, were arrested by local police and charged with "Indecent Exposure". As part of the initiation, the pledges were driven to a sorority and made to deliver flowers to the gals in person while the guys were wearing only underwear (white briefs). The purpose was to embarrass the pledges, which is very common in fraternities. Someone called the police, who arrived, and then arrested the five male students. Obviously, the guys are very upset about the prospect of now having a "police record." Here's my question: I thought "Indecent Exposure" required some degree of "nudity." How can the charge be applied to a situation where the arrestees were not nude at all, but wearing jockey shorts? This did not occur in the U.S., but based on my knowledge of the law there, the charge seems unfair.

Favorite Answer

Parents who enable (I see alot of that excuse making here) help produce irresponsible adults into the world. So in essence your part of the problem not part of the solution!

Each community can set its own standards for such an event.

Running around in your underwear on purpose is definitely indecent. It's surprising you would find this behavior acceptable.

The boyfriend should have had enough integrity to not do something so vulgar.

I agree with you, but laws concerning this can vary not only from one country to the next but also from state to state. Since it happened in a foreign country I wouldn't be to concerned about this affecting his record in any way, but you could always consult a lawyers opinion and there is a law section on here, its under the political section if you want to ask this question there.

• Maxi

This did not occur in the U.S..so where did it occur as that will determine the law and what "Indecent Exposure" is and if they were arrested, or arrested and charged, or arrestedcharged and convicted!

What prats.......I can never understand why they do these stupid things.................... you have also posted in M&D

• crazy

just because its a fraternity initiation, does not make it right. who goes out in there boxers. what would you say if it was a girls fraternity and the girls had to do this. no different.

if not here.. Laws of country apply..

Source(s): personal experience