Can we disable this outlet?

We have an outlet that needs to be disabled because it doesn't work properly. We think the outlet next (6ft apart) to it is connected. Can we still disable it? How do you go about doing this?

It's a brand new receptacle. The circuit has been shut off for a while now because we don't know what is wrong with it, but the breaker is the same one that is connected to the sunroom outlets. We would like to use them again. The problem was that the top plug in worked while the bottom didn't. My husband is fairly knowledgeable about this stuff and helped his dad wire his whole house, but that was a while ago and he is having trouble trying to remember certain things.

Favorite Answer

It might be easier just to change out the outlet rather than disconnecting it. You could possibly disconnect the outlet safety but there are many factors to consider when doing this. If you pull out the outlet is there just one set of wires coming in and none going back out? If so I would go the the outlet on the wall before this one, disconnect the out wires and test the power on the outlet you want to disconnect. If the power is out on this it should be safely disconnected. If the outlet you want to disconnect has wires coming out as well as in I do not recommend you disconnect this. Disconnecting will create issues. You will either have additional dead outlets or if you connect the wires back together after removing the outlet you will then have a exposed junction box. If you just remove the outlet and tuck the wires back inside you will have live wires in the wall. I do not recommend any of these solutions and now you know why I started off by saying it would be easier just to change out the outlet. Realistically though... if you don't know enough about power or house wiring you should call a professional in. Don't mess around with stuff that can kill you or create a unsafe environment.

Source(s): I have done a small amount of house wiring on my own and work with with family members that are licensed electricians for any larger jobs that are beyond my knowledge.

It sounds like you have a bad connection to the outlet in question. From the wording of your question, it also sounds like you may not have the electrical experience necessary to make the repair safely. I recommend you get someone with electrical experience to do the repair for you.

Either the receptacle is bad or you have a poor connection to it. Receptacles are fairly inexpensive (about $3) and it only takes about fifteen minutes to replace one. The trick is that you need to ensure that the breaker for that outlet is tripped before you start work. You also need to know how to make a secure electrical connection to the receptacle, otherwise you will have problems again.

Source(s): Experience

TURN THE BREAKER OFF....Take the rec. out where you can see the wire....If it is wired to nec code there will be a Black wire a White wire and a Green or bare copper wire...

If there are more wires than this it would be easier to just replace the receptacle....

Of there are only these take the black and white wire from the rec. and put wire nuts on them...You can put a wire nut on the green wire if you wish but not necessary...Just leave the bare wire alone and shove all of the wire inside the box and put a blank cover on the box

Source(s): mech

The wires would be run from one in all your different kitchen shops maximum in all probability. follow the wires interior the crawlspace to make certain which one. visit that outlet container and disconnect the wires. wish this facilitates.

I would fix it because why put in the same amount of effort and end up with a dead outlet ? They dont cost that much.

turn beaker off