Katya
Katya asked in Society & CultureEtiquette · 8 years ago

Should shaking hands be abolished forever?

Even as far back as ancient Greece people have used handshaking for sealing the deal & greetings The handshake is thought by some to have originated as a gesture of peace by demonstrating that the hand holds no weapon...but is this a totally outdated habit?

The CDC states a world pandemic is not a matter of if this will occur but when.

Reason I’m asking is I’m working volume sales where at the end of a transaction (filling out legal documents/recording), includes a handshake many times. After 15 yrs. of this I am so grossed out. Thoughts go through my mind as to what these people (usually men), do with their hands before as in; masturbating, not washing their hands after the toilet, picking their nose, etc. I can’t avoid the moment he puts his hand out and sometimes have even lied that I had the sniffles in order to get around the awkward moment, which I hate lying, or just give in and shake hands. Client get offended if I just say I don't shake hands. I wash my hands all the frik’n time, so much my hands are really dry and that is not good for sales either, wash hands & moisturize over and over…ugh.

Will people stop this custom of spreading festering fecal matter soon?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handshake

http://connectyourmeetings.com/2009/10/02/goodbye-...

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/cold-guide/cold-...

To Ed Fox and others, my gosh you all!! I was simply asking if our society will eventually faze this out or our culture. I wasn't saying a marshal law against it and be thrown in handshake jail! But if and when there is a world contagion that kills millions a week I'll bet they will address handshaking as a major contributor. It's logic folks. Don't hate on me for being pragmatic. And btw I don't think I'm better than everyone else. sheesh!

Favorite Answer

Wow, what a bunch of nose-pickers! lol

Hey I agree that if people don't mind swapping spit with total strangers that may have done a number of things with their hands that same day that can make anyone gag, then gahead! I know when I go to the head other people NEVER wash their hands and forget about with soap, also most of these ppl start their morning wood off with a good whack and off they go clicking away on the keyboard & smearing their disgusting spunk all over the place. Yummy! No, I don't like shaking hands nor do many people who take the time to figure this stuff out. Yeah, and that wives tale that you need to expose yourself to this disgusting muck to build an immunity is bs, so you others who like a bacteria soup can call it ocd or whatever you want, keep on making your hands into a petri dish and I'll just continue not throwing up in my mouth.

@ Gabi ng Lagim I don't think Katya thinks she's better than these people, she just knows that people aren't very sanitary and it's just a gross-out knowing. I mean, I myself have seen a guy look around to see if anyone was looking and stuck his hand down the back of his pants, took a good scratch then sniffed his fingers. That was something I wish I could've put on youtube but I was just too freaked watching his antics to get a clip.

@ sa, yes it's not something that could ever be compulsory of course but I wish there weren't so many people who get offended if you don't like to do it like this Gabi dude above.

hmmm, so if I say I don't like to shake hands then I'm an anti-social who thinks I'm superior with OCD.

buuuut if I say I shake hands I don't care about getting sperm and poo under my fingernails.

I like being touched but only by the ones I know. I just want to smile and wave at others.

• Ed Fox

So the whole entire world should ban handshaking simply because it is a part of your job (polite and courteous) and you don't happen to like it.

The arrogance of today's young people is unbelievable

It's np is you want to or if you don't want to. people should accept your preference either way but I don't think they'll abolish it unless there was a major world virus killing us.

• sa

It is an option only and not a compulsion and so need not be abolished !

• JD

Do you want your immune system to be weak as piss due to lack of use?

Seriously, stop worrying about such things, your immune system as to work, if you live in a completely sterile world, 1 measly cold will KILL you pretty much instantly. Is that what you want?

It's just shaking hands, stop bitchhing about it you baby.

ALSO, who the hell just said that interacting with germs daily like this doesn't help strengthen your immune system? IT DOES!, if you've never been exposed to a cold before, then the first one you get will be extremely severe, it's simple logic that being in contact with them will build your immune system stronger, you're not going to fcking die from it, people in the army out in wars have to **** in bushed and don't get to wipe their asses, and i bet they don't die from that.

Um sweetie you sound ocd. You can get help for that.

No - I'm not a germophobe.

No.