Atheists, have you seen the discussion that took place between Richard Dawkins and Rowan Williams........?

Rowan Williams to remind people is the Archbishop of Cantebury.

Im a Christian, and im almost done watching it on youtube, and i have to say that it went surprisingly well from what i can see. They seem to get along very well, and were very civil and cordial in the discussion. They also raised a lot of points that would make any thinking person 'think'. Dawkins seemed to be more at ease when talking to the Archbishop than he normally is when he talks to American Evangelicals.

The Archbishop for his part seemed fairly composed and did raise many good philosophical questions. So on the whole from what ive watched, it seems like the discussion went well. Any disagreements?

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfQk4NfW7g0

Youtube thumbnail

@Anana, just skim through it. You dont have to watch the whole thing

Favorite Answer

I haven't yet but I am going to , thanks for linking me to the debate.

• Ann

I'm not surprised that Richard Dawkins declined, I mean he is a scientist after all, so he probably gets tired of just arguing about the existence of God all of the time. Especially since people put words in his mouth and always try to ridicule him. Whenever I see Richard Dawkins in a debate with a theist or just a creationist, the debate never seems to be quite fair. They constantly cut Richard Dawkins off in mid sentence while he's trying to answer their questions, and they try to make people believe that he despises people who believe in ID.

I'm still watching. It's a very interesting link. Thank you.

So far all I can say is that such debate is welcome and open in a world of science. Science is open-minded and allows such discussions. In a world of extremist religion such debate would be forbidden by law. If the American extreme-right get their way intellectualism such as this would be banned outright. Extreme Islam has gone down that path already, you'd never get such a stimulating debate in an Islamist country.

America is on the verge of slipping into such an extremist state of mind. I'm wholeheartedly on the side of Dawkins, but I respect the beliefs of people who have invested in the other side of the debate. In the Christianist future dreamt of by many on the far right, my beliefs would be criminal, and as an incitor of terrorist non-Christianist ideas like Dawkins I would be hunted down and eliminated.

• Ross

@Princess- as a member of the American religious far right I can say that you are completely wrong. We totally approve of these discussions, if all views are not put on the table it is limits the possibility of truth. And we certainly have no interest in making atheism illeagal. Oh and you say science is so open minded, watch the movie expelled.

Yeah...Mr. Nice Dawkins. Great guy for when you want to play theological softball.

But not the guy to bring up the really difficult stuff for christian apologists to justify and defend.

It would have been interesting if Dawkins had started the debate off with something like this :

Egypt's first born. Amalikites. Flood. She bears sent to murder 42 children.

It kills innocent babies and children. It is a baby killer. Please explain why in the case of your book god being a murderer of innocent babies is actually something good, please explain why this particular baby killer is worthy of my worship.

And then you just stand back and let the Archbishop defend and justify the murder of innocent babies and children merely so he may preserve his faith in his chosen book god.

It would only take about 10 minutes before the Archbishop realized he might as well be defending Satan's murder of innocent children for petty and selfish reasons. (egypt's first born were murdered because the bible god did not get what he demanded from Pharoah...recognition as god, that is selfish).

Or he could start the debate off with a question followed by an observation.

Question : What happens to the soul of an aborted baby?

Answer 99.9% of the time : Soul goes straight on up to Heaven.

Observation : If the soul of an aborted baby goes to Heaven and Satan NEVER gets a chance to corrupt that soul in life...why is that bad? Do you want to help Satan by ensuring all souls are born into life or would you like to help God by sending pure souls to heaven untainted by Satan's touch?

See what I mean? Take the kid gloves off and christians will fall like flies in any debate.

• Anana

I would like to see a video or list of these good points. I'm not going to waste an hour here.

Nope

Dawkins is a very polite fellow.

At the end of the day, the religious people still have no evidence for their claims...

Thanks for the information, but I won't be watching the video. I've heard every argument made by both sides, and I've made up my mind.

Richard Dawkins always wins