Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Radhi asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

My kittens just died.Help me feel better about this.?

My cat give birth for three kitten.The first one died about a few days ago.The second one also died and the third one just died.I feel so bad about this.I feel guilty for them but actually it isn't my fault 100 percent because the mother kitten is not take care about its kitten so much.My cat not give its kitten milk often.But I feel guilty for this thing to happen,help me feel better about this and I hope that this won't happen again in the future.And can you give me tip about what should I do about newborn kitten.Thanks.

Favorite Answer

First and foremost, your mother cat wasn't feeding her kittens properly. As she is still alive, she should be a concern. It's possible she has mastitis; it's quite common in mother cats. It's an infection in the nipples, making them sore and often reluctant to feed. If you're not careful, she can develop an abscess (she might have even infected the kittens), so please, get her to the vet ASAP just to make sure. Or, did you touch them? Never touch newborn kittens. Unless the mother cat has ABSOLUTE trust in you, if she smells human on her kittens, she will kill them or simply reject them and leave them to die.

Now, listen, my dear. This is not your fault. Kittens are hard work and when the mother isn't doing her job, there often are fatalities, particularly when you're inexperienced. Even experienced cat-rearers find it extremely difficult to keep a whole litter of rejected kittens alive. It can't be helped. I know it's very upsetting to lose kittens, but all the more reason to take care of mum cat.

About hand-rearing. If mum cat falls pregnant again, keep a very close eye on her from the birth of the kittens. I would suggest not leaving it any more than three days. If she isn't feeding her kittens, remove them from her care. You'll have to keep mother cat AWAY from the kittens if you separate them, or she'll kill them. Hand-rearing kittens takes a lot of time and work. They, like human babies, need near constant care for much of their early life as they are born deaf and blind and can't walk and can't regulate their own body temperatures. They need feeding kitten milk with a syringe on a regular basis (first a 1ml syringe, then a 5ml after a week or two, often they'll need more than one syringe). You need to stimulate their bowels manually by gently rubbing their bellies and anuses with warm, damp cotton buds. And most crucially, they need a hot water bottle. The water cannot exceed 30 degrees C, but without that warmth, they will die. It is vital. And it falls to you to litter train them, play with them (to encourage walking and running) etc. It's a lot of work, but hand-rearing kittens is a lot of fun and it means they are EXTREMELY affectionate towards you for their whole lives.

Feel better soon, and good luck!

Source(s): Cat lover, owner, raiser.

Get the cat spayed and you will not have to go through this again. You could have nursed the kittens with a bottle but it is tons of work and no guarantee that they would have survived. Let it be a experience and prevent it for the future by having her spayed. See it that way. The kittens came to this world and decided it was not good enough and returned to heaven. They are in a good place now. Heads up.

Source(s): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00783BZII Book: All you wanted to know about cats

Hello , I feel very sorry for your loss it is sad to loss a pet . My suggestion is to get your female kitty spayed so this doesn't happen Again . However if your cat does get pregnant and gives birth they have a kitten formula for new born baby kitties you can get at your local pet store the also sell kitty bottles so you can feed the babies yourself however you have to fed about every 2 hours you also must stimulate the kittens to help them go to the bathroom, you do this by taking a warm rag and rub it on there bottoms to help them go . I only know this because my mother cat was killed by a dog 3 weeks after she had her babies and that is what i had to do it was a lot of work but all 7 babies did survive . I hope I could be of help best of luck to you.

• Ocimom

Nothing now - but she should be spayed in the next few weeks so this never happens again. Most likely it was genetic related and the kittens were sick from birth. Do NOT put her thru another pregnancy.

A cats first litter is very common to be still born, or to have the kittens die.

My cat's first litter was stillborn, all 4 kittens, and I have learned it is common for cats to have their first littler not succeed. Its unfortunate but it is the way of life.

I highly suggest you get your cat fixed. You do not sound experienced at all with newborn cats or kittens, and I do not recommend for you to breed her again.

Source(s): have owned cats, owns cats, breeded cats, in progress of getting a vet tech degree

With the hundreds of thousands of cats and kittens in shelters, why on Earth did you breed your cat!?

SPAY her. This WILL happen again...and again...and again. Which, as tragic as it is, it may be for the best for them to die while so young, instead of being bred in the future and most likely ending up like the other cats - in a shelter, waiting to be euthanized.

• J C

Get your cat spayed. Nature isn't always kind, and if she didn't produce milk for one litter, it's going to continue. Otherwise you're going to keep having dying kittens.

Source(s): many years of cat rescue
  • ceeli

please get your cat spayed.

you don't need any more litters of kittens if you refuse to give them proper medical care.

• Mick

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Please read the two poems on this page:

http://www.chocolatedot.co.uk/rainbow_bridge.php

They'll make you cry, but it will be a good cry.